Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HDMI interface to the touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That being said I think you could easily sell 500 to the Tesla Community.
k! And if you ship 500 that work, you'll sell 5000 no problem.

I just don't think the market or demand is there for this product for selling more than a few hundred units.

I think it's a niche product that only a few people really want for specific purposes. It's going to require someone who can install such a device (or pay for professional installation), and who has an HDMI source in the car they want to display on the MCU screen. That's a pretty small subset of Tesla owners.

I'm not sure how useful mobile phone mirroring is, as there is no touchscreen feedback to the phone. Sure, you can display Waze or other apps, but you still need to interact with the phone itself to do anything useful.

What other HDMI sources do you have in the car.. movies and videos? Surely not while driving (until FSD is released.. ha ha).

Bird's eye/360 degree parking view would be another use.. but for the cost of the HDMI device and a few additional cameras and installation? Again, a small subset of users would pay for that.

I do laud @BearBu for investing the time, knowledge, and expense to create this device and show that it can actually be done! It's quite an accomplishment. I'm just not sure it has widespread commercial potential.

edit to add: Just look at how long it took to get 50 people to buy @artsci's front camera switch which has significant utility for most Model S/X owners and is about $300 all-in (switch, cables, camera). Those of us who have it all say it's the best mod ever made for a Tesla.. and still less than 100 people have signed up for the second production run. I think the HDMI converter, even at half the price ($250) is going to be a hard sell. Everyone says they want one.... right up until you ask them to pay for it.

Last edited:
I just don't think the market or demand is there for this product for selling more than a few hundred units.

I think it's a niche product that only a few people really want for specific purposes. It's going to require someone who can install such a device (or pay for professional installation), and who has an HDMI source in the car they want to display on the MCU screen. That's a pretty small subset of Tesla owners.

I'm not sure how useful mobile phone mirroring is, as there is no touchscreen feedback to the phone. Sure, you can display Waze or other apps, but you still need to interact with the phone itself to do anything useful.

What other HDMI sources do you have in the car.. movies and videos? Surely not while driving (until FSD is released.. ha ha).

Bird's eye/360 degree parking view would be another use.. but for the cost of the HDMI device and a few additional cameras and installation? Again, a small subset of users would pay for that.

I do laud @BearBu for investing the time, knowledge, and expense to create this device and show that it can actually be done! It's quite an accomplishment. I'm just not sure it has widespread commercial potential.

edit to add: Just look at how long it took to get 50 people to buy @artsci's front camera switch which has significant utility for most Model S/X owners and is about $300 all-in (switch, cables, camera). Those of us who have it all say it's the best mod ever made for a Tesla.. and still less than 100 people have signed up for the second production run. I think the HDMI converter, even at half the price ($250) is going to be a hard sell. Everyone says they want one.... right up until you ask them to pay for it.

Good thought and that’s the reality issue.

As for the usage considerations of the HDMI port, people would be interest to buy it, must have their point of interest. Apart from the usage issue, the most important is the selling price, our team is also struggling to value the market and also the product position. For the first batch of 100set selling at $480, noises is inevitable and this is what we expected. The making of these projects cannot be done without a team of hardware and software engineers, testing guy. It’s not a handy toy which you can make it in a day by just $50 cost (stated from a guy in Facebook). If people think $480 is too expensive based on the hardware cost, I would suggest to wait until we have a 2nd batch of production with bigger volume (actually we are in discussing some orders for other regions) and see what would the selling price be (I am sure it must be less than $480) but I can’t tell the exact price right now, it’s all about the volume driving the cost (product cost in China is never cheap). Btw, I would hope to benefit the guys from TML forum (in terms of the price), we are discussing internally and hope we could make a solution soon

Why we do this project is simply because the elementary goal is to adopt a front-view camera which is a wide angle + true front view (not a reversed image)+ Non-Tesla camera + normal wiring to the front. And we made it become an actual product. After that we wanted to adopt the 360 around view system which is more comprehensive than the front/rear switch, and this is why the HDMI switch idea was set.

Update: iphone mirroring

C55059E1-7260-4687-833D-195BCC1C7B3F.jpeg 87095EF3-1380-45F1-BD2B-35A75731FB59.jpeg 3BB81D82-BBCC-4D10-9E94-3D518C26070A.jpeg 64157A3C-5910-480F-9907-BE34126974D2.jpeg C2B7EB8B-ADFC-4C53-8863-E879BA0C346C.jpeg

As impressed as I am by the clever effort @BearBu has put into this project, the demo. video above shows that there is considerable latency (delay between the video being displayed on the phone and the MCU) which will be quite disturbing for serious video viewers, if the audio is not synchronized to the image.

Reactions: SpudLime
As impressed as I am by the clever effort @BearBu has put into this project, the demo. video above shows that there is considerable latency (delay between the video being displayed on the phone and the MCU) which will be quite disturbing for serious video viewers, if the audio is not synchronized to the image.
When I initially viewed the video, it appeared to me that the audio was pretty well synced with the video on the MCU. Per what I suggested earlier on in this thread, another potential capability of this solution over watching video directly on a mobile device would be to purposely implement a small delay on the video to help sync it with the normally delayed BT audio feed.

Hence it potentially could be a viewing solution that actually works well.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
In terms of market demand, as an example, here in Japan many people watch TV or DVD while driving, even though it is prohibited. Smartphone use is also prohibited but enforced, TV/DVDs are not enforced.

While I personally think watching TVs is dangerous and not interesting at all, many people here pay a lot of money for TV and video playback in the nav screen, especially aftermarket.

Maybe in other countries as well?