Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HDMI interface to the touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
;)We are making a board that allows HDMI signal (1080p/1080i/720p) and have it projected on the MCU (touchscreen) thru the LVDS port from the rear camera. The fine-tuning is ongoing and would probably finished by mid July. Will post some pics as update from time to time

With the HDMI done and workable , the 360 around system, smartphone mirroring, videos playback etc are nolonger a dream. ;)

Stay tuned!

98D9019E-5CED-4A66-80B4-186BA9E935CA.jpeg

Thank you for your interest in our HDMI project! I should better to reply the concerns here
- it works on Model S, and theoretically it also works on Model X and Model 3 too bcos the LVDS signal is the same. Need to test the Model X later. But for Model 3, we don’t have the delivery in Hong Kong region, hope I can get one volunteer from China for testing the LVDS port.
- the LVDS port for the rear camera is located at the left foot side at the driver area, hope the attached would be more informative
- the switching between the rear camera and the HDMI port is performed by the relay (the white thing in the PCB) and it can be triggered by a button
- have no idea about the HomeLink function as we don’t have the HomeLink function in our region (Hong Kong), need some time to get more information about such function. Initially the switching will be done by a wireless button, or a on-board switch. For safety point of view, the rearview camera should be trigger with the reverse signal, therefore, the board will leave an I/O for reverse signal (12V) or an UART command decoded from CAN protocol (should need help from @appleguru )

We have other project focusing in the Video signal for Tesla Model S , including signal conversion board and the Frontview / Multi-view camera switch, details can be found by the following links

Frontview (or multi-view) 720p camera for Model S

Digital mirror (rearview mirror) display with Tesla rearview stock camera

Video conversion board (for rearview camera) extension to Dashcam / DVR

The two guys that have been working on the front cam system are @artsci (for the original front cam kit) and @appleguru (who is working on a CAN bus adapter to facilitate wiring). It would be a dream if your work on HDMI could be compatible (or even partially built off of) with what they have built, so that one would not have to choose between their add-on and yours.

Oops, I think we were editing our two messages at the same time, so you already know of the above two folks. Do you have insights to contribute to the wished-for goal of flipping the video from the rear cam being used by the artsci/appleguru front cam project, so that it is not reversed? And again it would be cool if your project and theirs were linked to simplify installation and wiring.

Oops, I think we were editing our two messages at the same time, so you already know of the above two folks. Do you have insights to contribute to the wished-for goal of flipping the video from the rear cam being used by the artsci/appleguru front cam project, so that it is not reversed? And again it would be cool if your project and theirs were linked to simplify installation and wiring.

It’s almost impossible to change the init settings inside the camera.

I can add a mirror function of my board (from other project) so that to reserve the image for artsci switch. Product info please refer to the following link

Video conversion board (for rearview camera) extension to Dashcam / DVR

9CFFCC40-2082-40A0-A3B5-402B5CDB848E.jpeg 569EFE55-454A-4347-8E15-3C4504ACB29E.jpeg I FA09130F-F172-49D4-8B3D-96ED4A058B26.jpeg 0F867030-B9FD-4E85-9D3C-1B7C42927B85.jpeg

Thanks. I recommend you post an installation video to assist us. How much will you be selling these for?

How can you mirror your smartphone display? Does it have airplay for iOS?

Will make the installation video after all testings.

We used “lightning to HDMI” AV adaptor for the testing. That Lightning to HDMI AV adaptor can be purchased at Apple store or eBay or amazon.

• Informative
Reactions: shthpnz
Paging @artsci. What think?

What Bearbu is doing is different that our camera switch. He's figured out a way to take an HDMI signal from sources other than the Tesla camera, which opens up all kinds of possibilities, such as video. Our switch enables switching between two Tesla cameras by fooling the MCU into thinking it's seeing a rear camera when it's seeing a front.

What Bearbu is doing is different that our camera switch. He's figured out a way to take an HDMI signal from sources other than the Tesla camera, which opens up all kinds of possibilities, such as video. Our switch enables switching between two Tesla cameras by fooling the MCU into thinking it's seeing a rear camera when it's seeing a front.
Of course, but I think we were all wondering if this would be a different/future approach to add perhaps more cameras or a front one that wasn’t reversed, etc.

Great projects @artsci and @BearBu!

Just curious as there’s an interest- is it possible to split the front and rear camera outputs to separate buffers for recording? I know there’s an interest in this, it’s a feature that Tesla has promised, and folks usually try to supplement with a separate camera. I’d be happy with a simple box that has a card reader and records off the video feeds. Is this technical feasible?

• Funny
Reactions: ArizonaP85