Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HDMI interface to the touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought one of those $15 miracast devices off amazon. Works great. Supports ios and android
The cool thing is since its on wifi there is a second delay when sending video. This actually works out great because bluetooth audio and video end up looking like they are synced!

Does it support hdcp content (like Netflix or Amazon Prime)? My guess is no, sadly.
Haven't tried that specific dongle but i find that Netflix just doesn't like casting to anything. I have an Android tv box i normally cast my phone to, YouTube works but for nflx it'll do audio but blank video. So i just have the Netflix app natively on the tv box instead and that works fine. Those boxes are like $30-50 anyway and some comes with tv tuner so you add free to air TV to the car too

Yep I ordered two of them. I noticed no change and was still unable to play hdcp content unless I used Apple's OEM dongle.

That's interesting. The one I got from Taobao.com, it has the HDCP crack function, we tried with AppleTV and it could play Netflix video.

Anyway, I had shipped one set of this HDMI Audio box (With HDCP crack) to a customer in CA, he'd probably received it and will ask if his box could play HDCP content

HDMI Audio extractor.jpg

So the appletv will play hdcp content just fine even without the hdcp Crack box in my testing.

The issue is from a phone. If I try Netflix from my phone, it has to be done from the apple oem dongle, nothing else I could find would do hdcp content from my phone.

So the appletv will play hdcp content just fine even without the hdcp Crack box in my testing.

The issue is from a phone. If I try Netflix from my phone, it has to be done from the apple oem dongle, nothing else I could find would do hdcp content from my phone.
Interesting,we tried to play Netflix on AppleTV and it showed the HDCP warning on screen, and the HDCP was gone when using the Crack box.

Hi @BearBu how do u find the FM transmitter in your picture? I've tried this one, i was going to just power it with a USB port, it works but the signal is relatively weak and I can hear static, which is obviously annoying if I'm trying to play music or anything requiring some quality of audio. Does the one in your picture sounds better without static? I don't want to keep buying more FM dongles to be disappointed.

Also, the FM module itself is an oem module, I'm wondering if it's feeding analogue audio signal back into the MCU... If not directly behind the mcu, there'll be a stereo signal somewhere within the FM receiver module itself, someone like you might be in the best position to test the pinouts to see if it's possible to feed a signal directly wired in... I remember working on my Porsche that came with a MOST waveguide AMP and it was a biatch to feed AUX signal into.. Until I took apart the AMP and found the ribbon cable linking the 2 circuit board halves, one half was the MOST decoder and the other half was the actual AMP, so i played some music and used a multimeter and a headphone to figure out which pin was which, then soldered a standard 3.5mm aux port to the 3 cables representing FL, FR and GND... I'm wondering if the Tesla uses similar architecture, since the FM module is also a Bosche unit from what i can tell online...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190317-204731__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20190317-204731__01.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 107
Hi @BearBu how do u find the FM transmitter in your picture? I've tried this one, i was going to just power it with a USB port, it works but the signal is relatively weak and I can hear static, which is obviously annoying if I'm trying to play music or anything requiring some quality of audio. Does the one in your picture sounds better without static? I don't want to keep buying more FM dongles to be disappointed.

Also, the FM module itself is an oem module, I'm wondering if it's feeding analogue audio signal back into the MCU... If not directly behind the mcu, there'll be a stereo signal somewhere within the FM receiver module itself, someone like you might be in the best position to test the pinouts to see if it's possible to feed a signal directly wired in... I remember working on my Porsche that came with a MOST waveguide AMP and it was a biatch to feed AUX signal into.. Until I took apart the AMP and found the ribbon cable linking the 2 circuit board halves, one half was the MOST decoder and the other half was the actual AMP, so i played some music and used a multimeter and a headphone to figure out which pin was which, then soldered a standard 3.5mm aux port to the 3 cables representing FL, FR and GND... I'm wondering if the Tesla uses similar architecture, since the FM module is also a Bosche unit from what i can tell online...
Hi Stan

The FM module I am using was bought from Taobao and I don’t find any similar item from AliExpress/eBay/Amazon

My one is a multi-channel adjustable , 12VDC with relatively higher power output. I still here some static (but not much) when I turn the volume to 7 and above.

Here is the taobao link FYI : (I hope you can read Chinese :)
【FM调频发射器,高品质ST立体声车载、无线音响、无线教学、导游等】https://m.tb.cn/h.3BZ4J0M?sm=fda0be 点击链接,再选择浏览器咑閞;或復·制这段描述¥AKwYbxvkdfq¥后到淘♂寳♀[来自超级会员的分享]

Actually I am not quite familiar in audio tech, I am getting some friend that he is working on cracking the AUX in on Model S but the mod is said to be kind of time consuming, also there is some cable harness spicing , and you have to pop out the MCU in accessing the connector at it’s back. Will post some details on his project when I get the updates from him

Reactions: supratachophobia
Hi Stan
he is working on cracking the AUX in on Model S but the mod is said to be kind of time consuming, also there is some cable harness spicing , and you have to pop out the MCU in accessing the connector at it’s back. Will post some details on his project when I get the updates from him
Ok cool.. Yeah if you can hear static that means I'll be able to too and that'll annoy me. I'll let you work on the audio option.

I know the pinouts for the speaker which would help anyone with external amp but still doesn't help with a seamless integration like muting audio when phone call comes in or voice control etc... I'll see if i can dig up a wiring diagram for the MS and see is there's a way to feed analog audio in - I'm thinking most likely via the fm radio module