Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HDMI interface to the touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A question.
I have a model 3 and I would like to know if I could connect a raspberry to the car.
What image quality would we get?
Fullscreen?
Using the Raspberry could you watch HBO, Netflix, Movistar and Amazon Video?
What about the audio?
Thank you
I can answer that friend. I currently run a Pi with Kodit and RetroPie. If it worked, you'd get the same size picture as what takes up the rear backup camera view on your screen. I use a FM adapter for the audio. Nothing else would work reliably. And believe me, I tried it all. Drivers, audio profiles, different builds of Rasbian, etc.

Reactions: lsds
Hi all,
I purchased one of these box's from @BearBu , its amazing, installation was simple, I've a P90D facelift with AP1 right hand drive. Took about 30 minutes to install. Sounds is off by .4 of a second, I use Kodi and offset the sound. Again it's well worth it.
Thanks for the compliment! Glad you like the product. Btw, what is Kodi and how it could offset the sound delay? Is it a FM transmitter?

I can answer that friend. I currently run a Pi with Kodit and RetroPie. If it worked, you'd get the same size picture as what takes up the rear backup camera view on your screen. I use a FM adapter for the audio. Nothing else would work reliably. And believe me, I tried it all. Drivers, audio profiles, different builds of Rasbian, etc.

So you did, or did not get the Pi to show Kodi on your Model 3 rear backup camera view?

So you did, or did not get the Pi to show Kodi on your Model 3 rear backup camera view?
No, not for the backup camera, for emulation and movie playback at the superchargers. I would be extremely hesitant to suggest someone run the camera feed through a pi and rely on that. Pi is nice, but it could still lockup or take forever to boot. You really need that more direct and immediate access to the camera.

i

interesting, I have been using a Pi with www.pibus.info in my bmw since 2015 and that is performing really well with fast boot on Openelec and piping through a rear view camera on a 1998 car. Do you connect your Pi to the Model 3 touchscreen?
Model S, so I didn't have to resort to the pi for the rear camera. But I'm glad you have had good luck with it. I like openlec, it's about as steam lined as you can get.

@BearBu FYI I finally installed my HDMI box hahaha.. only took more than a year...so for anyone having trouble with audio, here's a tip (P.S.. I'm on MCU1 AP1...Apparently the wiring hasn't changed up until Raven)..

But, at the back of the MCU, there's a brown connector harness on the middle row. The right-hand one if you're looking at the back of the MCU with the screen facing away from you. That harness is the radio tuner "analog" input... This is important because you can directly feed stereo L/R signal into here... What's more interesting, is that the MCU (or radio), seems to detect this incoming signal somehow. For example, I have the radio sitting on a known FM station.. it's playing the station perfectly fine. I've piggybacked a 3.5mm stereo socket to this harness and plugged the socket into my phone. As soon as I start playing anything on the phone, the FM radio audio completely disappears and the phone music takes over. As soon as I stop playing the music, the FM radio resumes.

This is why it took me a year to install... because it required splicing into factory MCU harness... and I wasn't going to do that whilst the car was still under warranty.. That warranty lapsed... so... the mods begins!

The harness should mark out pin numbers too for anyone else interested.. The pinout assignments are as follows:

L+: Pin 10 (Grey wire)
L-: Pin 20 (Brown wire)
R+: Pin 8 (Light Blue w/ Black Stripe)
R-: Pin 18 (Dark Blue)

So @BearBu that begs the next question... Is there an audio HDMI decoder inside the interface box? Are there analog audio L/R signals inside the box that can be accessed? If so, that would make it the best solution because it means someone merely needs to switch to Radio mode, irrespective of if they're on a channel or not. And of course when the hdmi input isnt playing anything, the radio resumes.

It gets even funkier for those of us with the Premium Audio option.... HDMI 5.1 decoding anyone? :)... for now I'm sufficiently happy with stereo output....

@BearBu FYI I finally installed my HDMI box hahaha.. only took more than a year...so for anyone having trouble with audio, here's a tip (P.S.. I'm on MCU1 AP1...Apparently the wiring hasn't changed up until Raven)..

The wiring changed with MCU2, so long before Raven. With MCU2 they changed the interface between the tuner and the MCU from analog to digital over ethernet.