Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HDMI interface to the touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use an audio extractor box which was dirt cheap, and connected the audio to an FM transmitter. That works, although it’s not exactly WiFi.
I have an android settop box connected to the HDMI. Funny thing is, it has a bluetooth output for headphones, and this pairs fine with the car. Delay is fractional.
I am searching a fm receiver with bluetooth out for when they eventually upgrade my AP and MCU1, and will use the bluetooth out from the settop box.

You could use something like this to extract the audio from the HDMI

I know. I have a similar one. Just not neat that's all, gotta wire up additional power and cables. If the audio signal already exists inside the HDMI interface box it's obviously more efficient to just use that. If there's no other choice then this is the last resort.

The wiring changed with MCU2, so long before Raven. With MCU2 they changed the interface between the tuner and the MCU from analog to digital over ethernet.

Cool thanks. The wiring diagram i found says it was from 2014 to 2019.. i can only confirm it worked on my own car of course.

I use an audio extractor box (...) to an FM transmitter (...) and will use the bluetooth out from the settop box.

The hardwiring will bypass the FM transmitter requirement. It'll just go straight to wired input which is much better sound quality. I tried my FM transmitter, at higher volumes you can hear the crackles and terrible for music. Plus it's just yet another piece of thing that needs to be powered. As for Bluetooth, I'm reluctant to use it because the MCU doesn't support multipoint BT profiles yet (not even sure it ever will, might be a hardware limitation). Which means if my screen mirror source is not my phone, I'll be fumbling in the car when the phone rings cos it wont be connected. By using the hardwire to tuner input, i don't lose any phone functionality, car will simply mute "radio" (my media source) and take/make the call.

@lonertic I like the hardwire solution, but that will disappear once the MCU1 gets replaced by MCU 2.... and to my knowledge those inputs are no longer there on the new screen? Or does the digital radio sends out analog sound to the MCU2? That would open up some interesting alternatives.
The digital radio has only a digital interface. No analog signal. Tuner2 communicates with MCU2 over BroadR-Reach automotive ethernet (100Base-T1) (twisted pair). I lifted that sentence from kdday's post on his DIY upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2. I retrofit MCU2, IC2, Tuner2, and FSD Computer into my HW2.0 Car

• Informative
Reactions: Duke-U
The digital radio has only a digital interface. No analog signal. Tuner2 communicates with MCU2 over BroadR-Reach automotive ethernet (100Base-T1) (twisted pair). I lifted that sentence from kdday's post on his DIY upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2. I retrofit MCU2, IC2, Tuner2, and FSD Computer into my HW2.0 Car

Actually...… The pins exist still. That connector is shared with mic, AFAIK the mic is still analog.... Now how to activate it would be a whole different story and not sure how to begin. On a scale of 1-10 I would rate this a 12.

Actually...… The pins exist still. That connector is shared with mic, AFAIK the mic is still analog.... Now how to activate it would be a whole different story and not sure how to begin. On a scale of 1-10 I would rate this a 12.
Yup the connector exists even in the photo from kdday's post... but from his pic you can see the MCU2 harness were missing these analog wires.. eg: to the far left where Grey and brown wires should've been, they were completely blank. I assume MCU2 completely doesn't support Tuner1 analog signal then because why else would you lose radio on upgrade.

Although not everyone's going to get an MCU2 upgrade (sadly I think i'm in that camp, I'm on AP1)... if they eventually offered the upgrade to AP1 cars I'll do it but that's something to worry about later.. Even if the connector is now Broadreach Eth protocol, hardwiring will still be possible. Because internally inside the Tuner2 radio would be a module which receives the FM radio, outputs it in analog, then a separate module takes the analog signal and encodes it digitally. I've done this in the past with my Porsche which uses MOST (optic fibre digital signal). You just need to find out where that is internally, solder your external signal wires into it to create an AUX and done. I mean, if anyone's still following the kdday post by this point with MCU disassembly, jtag read/writes to eMMC FS and SSH'ing into a bench-powerd MCU, most of that stuff is well beyond the average soccer mum driver, I figured you're the type comfortable with a soldering iron :)

Yup the connector exists even in the photo from kdday's post... but from his pic you can see the MCU2 harness were missing these analog wires.. eg: to the far left where Grey and brown wires should've been, they were completely blank. I assume MCU2 completely doesn't support Tuner1 analog signal then because why else would you lose radio on upgrade.

Although not everyone's going to get an MCU2 upgrade (sadly I think i'm in that camp, I'm on AP1)... if they eventually offered the upgrade to AP1 cars I'll do it but that's something to worry about later.. Even if the connector is now Broadreach Eth protocol, hardwiring will still be possible. Because internally inside the Tuner2 radio would be a module which receives the FM radio, outputs it in analog, then a separate module takes the analog signal and encodes it digitally. I've done this in the past with my Porsche which uses MOST (optic fibre digital signal). You just need to find out where that is internally, solder your external signal wires into it to create an AUX and done. I mean, if anyone's still following the kdday post by this point with MCU disassembly, jtag read/writes to eMMC FS and SSH'ing into a bench-powerd MCU, most of that stuff is well beyond the average soccer mum driver, I figured you're the type comfortable with a soldering iron :)

Actually I have not looked into tuner2, I know it has no AM, is it HDFM only or analog FM also? That is true if there is a analog fm tuner, there is a chance, unless it's all a single integrated chip at that point.

We'll need someone with a Tuner2 to find out. Unfortunately I've got a late 2015 so I'm still on AP1 and MCU1 hardware set. Hmmmm i wonder where @BearBu 's gone... Was hoping he'd be able to tell us if the HDMI interface has HDMI audio internally.. Even if it's just contact points on the PCB i can still solder a connector to it.... I'd rather not have another HDMI audio extractor box if i can help it.

We'll need someone with a Tuner2 to find out. Unfortunately I've got a late 2015 so I'm still on AP1 and MCU1 hardware set. Hmmmm i wonder where @BearBu 's gone... Was hoping he'd be able to tell us if the HDMI interface has HDMI audio internally.. Even if it's just contact points on the PCB i can still solder a connector to it.... I'd rather not have another HDMI audio extractor box if i can help it.

sorry man. Seems there is something wrong with the Google Chome, i had notification once I had message from TMC, but I have never been notified since mid March.

In answering to your question, there is no audio output inside the HDMI Interface Box. The possible solution to work out the audio directly to the MCU is to extract from the HDMI source.

Reactions: lonertic
I just installed the HDMI interface on my 2014 MS. Didn't get the courage to install the 360 kit yet (it is sitting here unopened till I get the courage).
The good part - I have Samsung S10 that I connected wired to the HDMI. I have a cheap USB-C HDMI dock. Screen mirroring did not work. But as soon as I switched to Dex view - voila! full desktop mode working without any issues. I can use the phone as the touchpad to operate it. Netflix, Youtube, Maps all work without any issues! Don't see any audio lag as well with Netflix.

Thanks for the great product BearBu! It is excellently made. Great work.

BearBu's 360 kit with HDMI is by far my favorite bolt-on upgrade. Real 360 view, switchable to any cam or automatic with turn signals, recording on all cams, recordings viewable on MCU, real HDMI - whatever my phone can do is now on the MCU. I haven't seen the new view Elon just came out with but I'd bet a cup of coffee my MCU1 already is doing it better.

• Informative
Reactions: BMW740iL
BearBu's 360 kit with HDMI is by far my favorite bolt-on upgrade. Real 360 view, switchable to any cam or automatic with turn signals, recording on all cams, recordings viewable on MCU, real HDMI - whatever my phone can do is now on the MCU. I haven't seen the new view Elon just came out with but I'd bet a cup of coffee my MCU1 already is doing it better.
I want it too for my Model 3

Ok. If you get a chance post some pics of your installation process or where you mount your cameras
I don't plan on installing it right away. But here are the parts photos. 1st time uploading from mobile, so apologies if it doesn't show up nicely.
Photos are: calibration sheet, the module + wires, cameras, box. 20200627_125247.jpg 20200627_125130.jpg 20200627_124956.jpg 20200627_124750.jpg

The biggest reason I wanted to see what they look like, is because I was wondering has anyone tried to cut off the camera and splice the ends to factory s fender cameras. If anyone has done this let me know
Can’t splice to Tesla cameras as the camera signals are completely different. @BearBu has a project to use the fender cameras that would be retrofit onto hw0/1 cars, but still cannot use hw2+ fender cameras because they must remain connected to the AP ecu.

Can’t splice to Tesla cameras as the camera signals are completely different. @BearBu has a project to use the fender cameras that would be retrofit onto hw0/1 cars, but still cannot use hw2+ fender cameras because they must remain connected to the AP ecu.

Do you mean new fender cameras for AP0/1 (which doesn't have it like AP2+) instead of on the mirror? If so, super interested! Where can I find more details about it?