Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HDMI interface to the touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally installed my HDMI Interface kit in my classic 2013 Model S.
The whole "kit" includes:
  • HDMI Interface box
  • CAN Bus decoder
  • HDMI -> HDMI + Audio cable
  • FM transmitter
  • Extra power cable (12V, 2A fused)
  • AppleTV 4K
The HDMI interface and CAN Bus decoder are mounted inside the dash (the "recommended" place on the driver side behind the large panel near the A-pillar). My HDMI audio extraction cable is really just a long HDMI cable (LogiLink) and so is the FM transmitter I used. Together with the extra power cable is simply zip-tied them together to have a single long cable.
Since I didn't quite figure out how to remove the entirety of the large panel around (below) the steering wheel I couldn't install the cable directly to the center console as I wanted. Instead I routed the cable into the driver side door sill cover and left it at the rear end of the cover. From there I routed it behind the driver seat (under the floor mats) and up into the center console on the other side. I needed to extend the HDMI cable (which works without problem).
Not exactly as elegant as I planned but works just fine.

With easy access to the HDMI cable in the center console I can now easily switch between any media source I want and have synced audio too.

The FM transmitter does its job "OK". It is not a great solution since the FM signal is rather weak and you have to turn up the volume quite a bit. Turning up the volume does also increase any static and interference which gets rather annoying when watching movies at quiet scenes.
I noticed that interference increases when the car is charging compared when it is completely idle.

It is still great for gaming (i.e. Beach Buggy) where you have a constantly high audio output and the interference is almost not audible.

I suppose, depending on the source, you could also link the audio with the MCU directly through BlueTooth. Unfortunately this creates a very noticeable delay (video and audio are out of sync). Some APPs or video players can delay the video signal so it would be possible to experiment with this to gain a perfect sync for movies.

Thank you @BearBu for this great product. I'll keep an eye on the side fender cameras extension which sound really interesting for us with legacy Model S.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Does your Apple TV have Bluetooth? If so you can get rid of the fm transmitter and connect to the Apple TV via Bluetooth for sound. That’s what I did for my nvdia shield. Just make sure you hit play on the screen after connecting
You paired the Apple TV to the Teslas Bluetooth?
Does the Apple TV with Bluetooth sync with the video without delay? Is it better than using the phone Bluetooth to connect.

On MCU1 cars, I think you could feed the audio through the AM/FM radio wires? Add some switch or relay to choose if audio is coming from radio or Aux.. Anyone tried this?
This is old school but should work on MCU2 (just FM) as well. The Tesla tuner doesn't know where the source comes from. Maybe there are digital FM transmitters rather than just analog.

not heard of this , sounds interesting . im having to use a hdmi audio splitter to a small fm transmitter , otherwise the Bluetooth audio delay is annoying with no way to sync it up properly.
You can sync if the player has that feature, but most default phone media software isn't that sophisticated. You have to install something else.

This is old school but should work on MCU2 (just FM) as well. The Tesla tuner doesn't know where the source comes from. Maybe there are digital FM transmitters rather than just analog.

I actually ment cutting the wires that go from the tuner to the MCU, to create real "AUX input" to the MCU.

MCU1 tuner uses analog signaling to the MCU. It's very likely just line level analog audio.

MCU2 tuner uses digital signaling, even if listening to analog radio like FM. That's why you lose the tuner if upgrading from MCU1 to MCU2.