Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HDMI interface to the touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed this on ebay:

"Tesla Aux-in for Audiophiles - Model X/S - Solution for MCU1, 3.5mm jack"

Tesla Aux-in for Audiophiles - Model X/S - Solution for MCU1, 3.5mm jack | eBay

Now, the $299 price seems a bit high. :rolleyes: From the picture it looks like it's simply an extension cable for some MCU connector, with the 3.5mm jack added in between?
Yeah, I saw that last week and thought the same. Pretty steep for just a connector. Not to mention, you loose the ability to use the steering wheel controls of your phone.

Here....

I will show this to my uncle when I visit him this weekend for the installation of the bumper and skid plates from 4Wheelonline onto his Wrangler. Thanks

Everyone is talking about audio delay. I use mine directly from my samsung note 20. I use a usb c to hdmi cable. I dont have any sync issues by going through bluetooth. The delay from my phone and the delay in bluetooth audio seem to match up pretty well.

Now whats great about samsung is it starts the DEX program when doing this. So the screen acts as a different operating system and I can play plex or whatever I like through it while still maintaining full use of my phone.

Samsung so ahead of the game on random things that make switching to an iphone really hard. Dex is one of them.

Are you talking about the hdmi interface? I have mcu2 and it works fine with it. I bought it when I had mcu1 and upgrading to mcu2. Everything continued to work
I tried it in my upgraded to MCU2/HW3 car and the camera signal went through fine, but the signal from my video box and front cam did only give a black screen.

Did you plug it in between the extension cord or in the computer unit itself?

I tore it out because I thought that the new hardware wasn’t supported….

What resolution does it expect?

Yes, it works with the MCU2/AP3 upgrade. See pics - the blue connector on the AP3 goes into the HDMI box, near the passenger-side kick panel in the US. Also HDMI properly wired is shown.

Attachments

• 20200727_131325.jpg
    20200727_131325.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 20200726_171911.jpg
    20200726_171911.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 75
Will this work with the Plaid? I'd like to install my Apple TV in the car and have it connect directly via an HDMI cable.
Technically it'd work, yes, because backup camera is the same. However, I've tried this already and had poor results with AppleTV. Primarily, you're going to need to get a way for the audio from the appleTV to the car's entertainment system. HDMI-in only carries video - no audio - in this application. So you'll need a way to extract the audio off the hdmi signal and then broadcast on FM or BlueTooth (FM has less latency). It just became too janky and I ended up not doing any of it.

Technically it'd work, yes, because backup camera is the same. However, I've tried this already and had poor results with AppleTV. Primarily, you're going to need to get a way for the audio from the appleTV to the car's entertainment system. HDMI-in only carries video - no audio - in this application. So you'll need a way to extract the audio off the hdmi signal and then broadcast on FM or BlueTooth (FM has less latency). It just became too janky and I ended up not doing any of it.
isn't there a way to adjust bluetooth the delay in the Apple TV settings?

isn't there a way to adjust bluetooth the delay in the Apple TV settings?
Appletv doesn’t support Bluetooth to a vehicle (try pairing your appletv now to your vehicle and see it won’t work). You need to extract audio from hdmi out and transmit it using an external Bluetooth transmitter. Whether that transmitter supports a delay is an issue but the problem isn’t you need to add delay - you need to remove it! Which Bluetooth can’t have negative delay.