Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HDMI interface to the touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No updates on Model 3/Y.

Looks like the cops worked it out...

1687962424916.png

No updates on Model 3/Y.

Looks like the cops worked it out...

View attachment 951496
That doesn't accomplish the same thing. They are taking over the entire screen, people here were wanting to just take over a section of the screen. (Like replacing the backup camera feed so that you could still use the car and its features while having external video displayed.)

I imagine taking over the entire display is fairly easy as I'm sure Tesla is using a standard monitor communication like DisplayPort or HDMI.

That doesn't accomplish the same thing. They are taking over the entire screen, people here were wanting to just take over a section of the screen. (Like replacing the backup camera feed so that you could still use the car and its features while having external video displayed.)

I imagine taking over the entire display is fairly easy as I'm sure Tesla is using a standard monitor communication like DisplayPort or HDMI.
to be fair if my HDMI box can takeover the whole screen and touchscreen functions and move it to a different host computer and allowing me to switch back and forth, that'd work for me too. but it can't. And we can't simply take over the whole screen either witiout taking the MCU apart and splicing ribbon cables.

Reactions: m5james

I replaced the screen in my X5M and it allowed me to switch back and forth between the stock iDrive and the stereos built-in Android side. While I realize that's harder to do in a Tesla since no one makes a whole aftermarket screen replacement systems, I would LOVE to be able at least be able to take over the screen via mirroring my entire phone!! You make it sound easy so how can it be done?

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1614562657849.png
    PhotoGrid_1614562657849.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 50
Reactions: HankLloydRight
to be fair if my HDMI box can takeover the whole screen and touchscreen functions and move it to a different host computer and allowing me to switch back and forth, that'd work for me too. but it can't. And we can't simply take over the whole screen either witiout taking the MCU apart and splicing ribbon cables.
That's actually wrong. The screen connects to the MCU via fpd-link iii.

There are dev boards that will drive the display as a standalone monitor, but i haven't found anything that will do switching the 2 links.

Again, I'm surprised no one has even tried.

When I have some spare cash I'll pick up a cheap M3 screen and a board to do some testing.

Reactions: Russell
So how do these Police car hackers take over the whole screen to get their Windows pc on the Tesla touchscreen?

That's actually wrong. The screen connects to the MCU via fpd-link iii.

There are dev boards that will drive the display as a standalone monitor, but i haven't found anything that will do switching the 2 links.

Again, I'm surprised no one has even tried.

When I have some spare cash I'll pick up a cheap M3 screen and a board to do some testing.
Correct, if you can just crack the signal after the LVDS Rx chip, it would work. FYI that the signal is MIPI2 after the LVDS Rx

with the full keyboard with trackpad in the Model PD my guess is they figured out how HDMI input for video only and not able to control the touch screen.
I am surprised HDMI input is not yet documented as is the HDMI output hack soldered to the Texas Instruments LSVD controller. Chuck Cook from the FSD beta testing videos is using HDMI output to capture the Tesla screen. Reddit has a video explaining the HDMI output hack

with the full keyboard with trackpad in the Model PD my guess is they figured out how HDMI input for video only and not able to control the touch screen.
I am surprised HDMI input is not yet documented as is the HDMI output hack soldered to the Texas Instruments LSVD controller. Chuck Cook from the FSD beta testing videos is using HDMI output to capture the Tesla screen. Reddit has a video explaining the HDMI output hack

Yeh so I'd say someone's can just put an LVDS deserialiser+HDMI switcher+LVDS serializer in a box to sit between the MCU and the screen right between the fakra ports (to make it plug & play). The I2C line gives me an idea tho, it's almost 100% guarenteed that'd just deserialise as USB HID signal. I'm not an embedded systems designer but, to someone who is, they'd be able to whip up schematics for such a MITM device pretty quickly to switch between MCU or ext HDMI input, possibly even retaining touch function to either device toom and toggle via a CAN message (scroll wheel button)... since the FPDLink-III chips are CoTS available and aren't restricted sales..

A good sales guy could probably pitch such a box to any local PD as "decades of research" and the POC device would be indistinguishable from black magic to Chief Wiggum.

Reactions: Manya3084