Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HDPE/Track Day Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dont find it that strange, actually. If they didnt, they would end up with (for example) people expecting their brakes to be replaced by tesla after they ground them down on a track, because "it doesnt say it excludes that anywhere".

Unfortunately, while "many" people are reasonable, not all are, so car makers have to have exclusions to protect themselves from the few who would actually abuse it.

I doubt tesla would invalidate a main battery pack warranty claim that was appropriate, but they certainly would not perform brake, suspension, etc work on a car that had possibly damaged those on a track. Most people would consider that to be appropriate and would not expect a car warranty to cover track brake use, or suspension damage, but, like I said, most is not "all" people.
Tesla replaced a front wheel bearing and Upper Control arm on mine, despite my taking it to the track several times. I even left my race helmet in the back seat one time when dropping it off at service.

My experience is that the Sunnyvale Tesla is awesome, and they took care of me when they could have tried not to. A lot has to do with the attitude with your service advisor in my experience. Granted, I didn't upgrade any of the suspension components until after the warranty had expired.

As far as the OP question, I typically do not get track day insurance when I run with Tesla Corsa at Buttonwillow. With all Teslas on course, I feel the drivers are perhaps more mature. I have considered getting it when we went to Laguna Seca, as there is a lot less margin for error at that track.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Tesla has track mode, and their warranty basically says it's void if you use it. Everyone does it.
Using track mode will not void the warranty, it comes standard on the P model.
If you have issues that you want them to cover, they can blame it on track usage but they would have to prove it.
I'm sure they'll check your GPS history if they suspect track use but they would have to go the distance and prove that track use caused the issue.
You can drive on the street just as hard as you can on the track, honestly its worse to do it on the street for many reasons.

Using track mode will not void the warranty, it comes standard on the P model.

1633023247519.png

1633023215473.png

So, only use Track mode on a track. And using it, no damage caused by "excessive overuse of components" is not covered.
You think Tesla will replace a battery or motor if it fails after a car has been on the track?

Attachments

• 1633023241992.png
    1633023241992.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 23
I should let those who have tracked and used their warranty comment, but just turning on track-mode even if not on the track will not void your warranty.

furthermore they will have to prove that the excessive overuse was caused by tracking, very difficult to do in most cases.

People are having FUCA ball joint issues early on without tracking, some have been tracking and autocross with no FUCA issues.
Once their FUCA ball joint issue appears, you think they are less likely to get it warranty replaced because theyve tracked even tho its a known issue? I think not.

I should let those who have tracked and used their warranty comment, but just turning on track-mode even if not on the track will not void your warranty.
This all started because you are sure Subaru is "sleezy" for voiding powertrain warranties for using the car on a track. When pointed out that Tesla is the same, you defend them.

This is the Subaru language:
"These warranties do not cover damage to any component that is the result of operating the vehicle in any competition or racing event."

So either both Tesla and Subaru are sleezy, or neither are.

This all started because you are sure Subaru is "sleezy" for voiding powertrain warranties for using the car on a track.
Nah, you're wrong.

WRX and STis used to come with a 1 year SCCA membership, but voided your mfg powertrain warranty if you ever used it.
Accuracy is important when arguing, I said that this, THIS ^^^, is a sleezy way to keep their customers honest.
Tesla didnt give us a membership to something and then said 'If you ever use this, your warranty is void' seems like Subaru does.

Back to my point, turning on TRACK MODE will not void your warranty.

sounds like a sleezy way to keep their customers honest.
Tesla didnt give us a membership to something and then said 'If you ever use this, your warranty is void' seems like Subaru does.
What is "using an SCCA membership"? Subaru absolutely did not void your warranty if you signed up for SCCA. They didn't void your warranty if you read the SCCA magazine. They didn't void you warranty if you used the SCCA discounts at vendors.

What people mean is that if you went on the track, they'd void your warranty, after promoting the fact that their cars are capable on the track. The "they void your warranty for using SCCA membership" is just a funny/ironic way of saying if you took the car to the track, not literally if you got an SCCA membership.

Tesla gives you track mode, as a standard feature on some cars. They advertise it, but also tell you the only place it is to be used is on a track. Where they may void your warranty.

There is zero difference here. Both companies sell and promote to people focused on performance driving, and then reserve the right to deny warranty if used in that way. Subaru gives you an SCCA membership, and voids you warranty if you use it in the primary way it's designed to be used. Tesla gives you a whole track mode, built into the car, and voids your warranty if you use it the way the manual tells you to use it.

What is "using an SCCA membership"? Subaru absolutely did not void your warranty if you signed up for SCCA. They didn't void your warranty if you read the SCCA magazine. They didn't void you warranty if you used the SCCA discounts at vendors.

What people mean is that if you went on the track, they'd void your warranty, after promoting the fact that their cars are capable on the track. The "they void your warranty for using SCCA membership" is just a funny/ironic way of saying if you took the car to the track, not literally if you got an SCCA membership.

Tesla gives you track mode, as a standard feature on some cars. They advertise it, but also tell you the only place it is to be used is on a track. Where they may void your warranty.

There is zero difference here. Both companies sell and promote to people focused on performance driving, and then reserve the right to deny warranty if used in that way. Subaru gives you an SCCA membership, and voids you warranty if you use it in the primary way it's designed to be used. Tesla gives you a whole track mode, built into the car, and voids your warranty if you use it the way the manual tells you to use it.

We can go one step further. In 2009, if you bought a Nissan GTR and used launch control ANYWHERE, doesn't need to be on the track, your on the hook for a new transmission if you happen to break it. This is an automatic car, with a mode specifically designed to launch the car. I bring this up because you need to use that in order to hit the advertised performance numbers of the car, and being that it's automatic, it's not like your dropping the clutch or grinding gears, its just that the transmissions couldn't handle many launches using Nissans built in launch control.