Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HDPE/Track Day Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can’t say much about insurance but I’m super curious how your track day goes and especially how charging goes for you. I’m considering swapping my Model S for the M3P so I can go play at the track. I just worry about how long the M3P can stay on track. In addition to wrecking it of course, which is where the insurance comes in. Btw, does tracking not invalidate the Tesla warranty?

Reactions: play150
Can’t say much about insurance but I’m super curious how your track day goes and especially how charging goes for you. I’m considering swapping my Model S for the M3P so I can go play at the track. I just worry about how long the M3P can stay on track. In addition to wrecking it of course, which is where the insurance comes in. Btw, does tracking not invalidate the Tesla warranty?
I've read on the forums of some people being denied warranty for going on track and stuff :/

I read the warranty terms and they explicitly state no track use. I find it strange for a car with track mode. Obviously people are going regardless.

I dont find it that strange, actually. If they didnt, they would end up with (for example) people expecting their brakes to be replaced by tesla after they ground them down on a track, because "it doesnt say it excludes that anywhere".

Unfortunately, while "many" people are reasonable, not all are, so car makers have to have exclusions to protect themselves from the few who would actually abuse it.

I doubt tesla would invalidate a main battery pack warranty claim that was appropriate, but they certainly would not perform brake, suspension, etc work on a car that had possibly damaged those on a track. Most people would consider that to be appropriate and would not expect a car warranty to cover track brake use, or suspension damage, but, like I said, most is not "all" people.

I dont find it that strange, actually. If they didnt, they would end up with (for example) people expecting their brakes to be replaced by tesla after they ground them down on a track, because "it doesnt say it excludes that anywhere".

Unfortunately, while "many" people are reasonable, not all are, so car makers have to have exclusions to protect themselves from the few who would actually abuse it.

I doubt tesla would invalidate a main battery pack warranty claim that was appropriate, but they certainly would not perform brake, suspension, etc work on a car that had possibly damaged those on a track. Most people would consider that to be appropriate and would not expect a car warranty to cover track brake use, or suspension damage, but, like I said, most is not "all" people.
But I don't think Tesla warranty covers consumables like brakes anyway right? Not sure, but in any case I consider myself "reasonable" so I wouldn't track a car and then go to the manufacturer to complain about my tires, brakes and suspension wear. In any case, I get your point about manufacturers having to protect themselves.

Just for kicks, I looked up the Porsche warranty and it has similar disclaimers. See below.

This Warranty Does Not Cover:
Abuse, accident, acts of God, competition, racing, track use, or other
events.
Note 1: Components and/or parts that fail during racing or driving events (including Porsche sponsored events) may not be covered by the new car Limited Warranty.
Note 2: You should also be aware that PCNA may deny you warranty coverage if your vehicle or a part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper maintenance or unapproved modifications.

Reactions: gearchruncher
But I don't think Tesla warranty covers consumables like brakes anyway right? Not sure, but in any case I consider myself "reasonable" so I wouldn't track a car and then go to the manufacturer to complain about my tires, brakes and suspension wear. In any case, I get your point about manufacturers having to protect themselves.

Just for kicks, I looked up the Porsche warranty and it has similar disclaimers. See below.

This Warranty Does Not Cover:
Abuse, accident, acts of God, competition, racing, track use, or other
events.
Note 1: Components and/or parts that fail during racing or driving events (including Porsche sponsored events) may not be covered by the new car Limited Warranty.
Note 2: You should also be aware that PCNA may deny you warranty coverage if your vehicle or a part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper maintenance or unapproved modifications.

So does BMWs I am fairly sure, so yeah you are absolutely correct about someone saying "wow I guess I will switch to another brand!" for something like this.

I think this is common across multiple types of products though, not just vehicles. I bought a really nice treadmill 2-3 years ago, and the warranty excludes "commercial" use. Doesnt bother me because I bought it for use at home, but this type of exclusion is common various products from treadmills, to blenders, etc.

With ALL that being said, it is a bit of an oxymoron to have a track exclusion on one side, and a vehicle with a manufacturer offered track mode that is promoted, in the other. My guess is, for practical matters, that blurb from the porsche warranty likely applies to various other manufacturers and allows them an "out" if some part that is stressed harder during track use fails and someone tried to get it covered.

"Gotta pay to play" for these things is pretty much the way they all work. If one is going to take their daily driver to the track, they should be prepared (financially) for whatever may happen during their fun times.

Reactions: Vines and Tessd
Unfortunately, only Chevrolet with their Corvettes covers track use. It’s only in the Z51 models where they also ha e a track guide on how to set it up and what services to perform to extend the life after beating it at the track.
I also plan on taking my M3P to Sebring…. 😁

Reactions: Tessd
I always buy track insurance. As others have mentioned, not so much worried about myself but someone else doing something stupid. I've had one off with the car and one near-off in ~2,000 on-track miles.

I've found track insurance is much more economical for multi-day events. A single day is about $270, two days is about $300, and three days is about $330, so I try to do multi-day events when possible.

Reactions: Tessd and play150
Unfortunately, only Chevrolet with their Corvettes covers track use. It’s only in the Z51 models where they also ha e a track guide on how to set it up and what services to perform to extend the life after beating it at the track.
I also plan on taking my M3P to Sebring…. 😁

I believe that the Camaro 1LE pack also qualifies for warranty coverage on track. Go Chevy!

I got track insurance for my M235i just once. Eventually I bought an MX5 for the track. I do what to see what the M3P will do on track though. Tires are problem because any tire that is a decent daily driver will be shredded by a couple of days at the track...

Reactions: play150
2021 M3P in California and this was the instant quote I got. If you track 2+ times monthly then annual would be worth it.
That deductible though, yuck.

1631727589172.png

• Informative
Reactions: play150 and Tessd