Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Head check vs Screen check

Do you rely on the screen and sensors when changing the lane?

• I turn my head. I cannot trust the sensors 100%.

Votes: 24 70.6%
  • I only check the screen for blind spots.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Other

Votes: 5 14.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Leafdriver333

Somewhat Active Member
Mar 21, 2019
usa
I noticed I am becoming more of screen checker lately.
When changing lanes, I check the cars on the screen rather than turning my head.
I guess I am trusting the sensors more by day.

Do you still turn your head to check the blind spots?

OTHER: Manual shoulder check, as I've drilled in as a habit for nearly 4 decades, 100% of the time because I'm an old dog and thus have a limited capacity for new tricks that's I'm not going to blow on trying to mentally map to using the screen. :p I don't know if doing it via the screen is reliable or not? It has never ever occurred to me to check.

Plus occasionally I drive something that isn't a Tesla and it is bad enough now with me turning on the windshield wipers when I want to back up, no need to add another "have to remember" to that list. Especially one as don't-crash critical as checking for something in my blind spot.

• Funny
Reactions: Leafdriver333
In heavy traffic I will always head check and mirror check (rear view and side). In lighter traffic, I can usually mirror check only. In both cases I will glance at the screen as a backup.

My mirrors are adjusted for complete and continuous overlap of the viewing area from behind the car all the way around both sides. No matter where another car is, I can see it in one or more mirrors, there is no such thing as a "blind spot".

Flexibility is what folks should be ready for. Getting set on any specific process is not good. You need to be able to perform the steps necessary to assure that the area is clear, no matter the situation.

• What happens if the backup camera is slow to some on, has a water drop on it obscuring view?
  • If you drive a panel truck, you learn that looking over your shoulder is a worthless exercise, mirrors are your only choice.

As we any safety minded process, the more input that you can get, the better. Looking at the camera, looking at the mirrors, even just glancing to the sides without a full shoulder twist, combined with the car's ability to make a determination is what I do.

I do both. The screen seems to be fine for detecting other cars that are in, or close to, your blind spot and that are moving at pretty close to your speed (just a little faster). However, if there is a car coming up really fast in the passing lane but is still too far back to trigger the screen you might end up cutting it off if you didn't take a quick look yourself before initiating the lane change.