Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Head lights not coming on when wipers are on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which jurisdictions in the US actually require this by law?
Headlights on with wipers on is a pretty common law. *Auto* headlights with wipers probably isn't since there are still cars without auto headlights.

What Tesla seemed to initially claim was that auto headlights with wipers was illegal, which seems to be straight up false (hence the re-release of this feature)

Which jurisdictions in the US actually require this by law?
According to this site (Headlight Use Laws for All 50 States | YourMechanic Advice), the states that require headlights on when wipers are on are:
  • Arkansas
  • California (site says "when it's raining, foggy, snowing, or even cloudy. If you must use your windshield wipers, you are required to have your headlights on")
  • Delaware
  • DC
  • Illinois
  • Kansas
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts (site says "are turned on")
  • Missouri
  • New Jersey
  • New York (site says "in use or in foggy conditions")
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania (site says in "continuous or intermittent use")
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee (site says "continual use")
I started adding the "site says" comments when I noticed different variations.

Additionally, these states say you must have headlights on if it is raining or snowing:
  • Georgia
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • New Hampshire
  • North Dakota
  • Virginia
  • West Virginia

(No, I'm not bored at work. Why would you ask?)

According to this site (Headlight Use Laws for All 50 States | YourMechanic Advice), the states that require headlights on when wipers are on are:
  • Arkansas
  • California (site says "when it's raining, foggy, snowing, or even cloudy. If you must use your windshield wipers, you are required to have your headlights on")
  • Delaware
  • DC
  • Illinois
  • Kansas
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts (site says "are turned on")
  • Missouri
  • New Jersey
  • New York (site says "in use or in foggy conditions")
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania (site says in "continuous or intermittent use")
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee (site says "continual use")
I started adding the "site says" comments when I noticed different variations.

Additionally, these states say you must have headlights on if it is raining or snowing:
  • Georgia
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • New Hampshire
  • North Dakota
  • Virginia
  • West Virginia

(No, I'm not bored at work. Why would you ask?)
The change in the Virginia law is recent, along with a new prohibition of blue headlights. Now Virginia law requires the use of headlights whenever there’s rain, fog, sleet, or snow and you’re using your windshield wipers. However, you don’t need to use them if your wipers are only active intermittently.

Not Virginia.
Incorrect.

Code of Virginia​

Table of Contents » Title 46.2. Motor Vehicles » Subtitle III. Operation » Chapter 10. Motor Vehicle and Equipment Safety » Article 3. Lights and Turn Signals » § 46.2-1030. When lights to be lighted; number of lights to be lighted at any time; use of warning lights

§ 46.2-1030. When lights to be lighted; number of lights to be lighted at any time; use of warning lights.​

A. Every vehicle in operation on a highway in the Commonwealth shall display lighted headlights and illuminating devices as required by this article (i) from sunset to sunrise; (ii) during any other time when, because of rain, smoke, fog, snow, sleet, insufficient light, or other unfavorable atmospheric conditions, visibility is reduced to a degree whereby persons or vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 500 feet; and (iii) whenever windshield wipers are in use as a result of fog, rain, sleet, or snow. The provisions of this subsection, however, shall not apply to instances when windshield wipers are used intermittently in misting rain, sleet, or snow.

Weirdest thing to me is that this feature, that i really wanted and a feature i had, even on a 2008 GM vehicle i owned is not actually activated in Denmark where i live. If it did more than X wipes in Y seconds it turned on the low beam and the rear lamps automatically, and the same if i turned on the foglights.

I dont understand the reasoning behind the choice to not include this pretty nice feature on, atleast Danish vehicles.

Attachments

• Wiper.jpg
    Wiper.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 34