Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Head lights not coming on when wipers are on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed this yesterday while driving in the rain. Drove about 600 miles yesterday and today, most of it in the rain, and it’s definitely a pain to have to manually turn on the lights each time you start out. That’s assuming that you remember that you now need to turn them on manually. And then the car bugs you to turn them off when you park and exit the car! This definitely needs to be a setting in one of the menus.
Also it would have been nice to have been informed of this change. When I first noticed it I assumed that it just wasn’t working correctly, or possibly that the most recent update made it an option. Wasted some time re-booting and searching through the menus for a non-existent setting.
Its not only a pain, its a safety issue as it could be raining and your lights are not on. Oncoming drivers may not see you.

Its not only a pain, its a safety issue as it could be raining and your lights are not on. Oncoming drivers may not see you.
Teslas do have daytime running lights, so oncoming cars shouldn’t be an issue. Turning on the headlights does turn on the tail lights, but if it’s dark enough that cars behind you need your tail lights then it should be dark enough for the auto headlights to kick in. It’s more about legal compliance but I do think having the full headlights on is better.

I agree. Yesterday I ran into downpour and tried to turn headlights on with voice control now that I know they don’t go on automatically like I thought. I could only turn on the dome lights with voice. Had to go thru 2 screens while pouring rain to get lights on to be in compliance with law in Fl, and to be seen. Interesting that I can do so many crazy things by voice but not lights. Please redo the firmware to put either voice control for headlights or have the headlights go on automatically when wipers detect rain and go on.

Reactions: jkeyser14
I was driving last night and it was DARK on country roads and yet my headlights would not switch to high beams automatically. Are there headlight problems???
If you are referring to the 'Auto High Beam' function, the name is opposite to its implied meaning. The 'Auto High Beam' function is to automatically lower the headlight from high when it detects oncoming cars. NOT raise the headlight to high automatically.

From the manual:
Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 9.45.06 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: SalisburySam
I just had to drive down a winding mountain road in daytime during which a storm came over. There was rain and the wipers came on but no headlights. It is not really an option to take your eyes off the road during these conditions to find the 'on' icon for the lights. As previous posts have said, this used to be there. A change here is an absolute must - either add the option to have the lights come on if the wipers come on (best option) or adjust the sensitivity of the low light detection system that would activate the lights during the reduced light conditions brought on by rain. This is a critical safety issue that Tesla needs to address.

I just had to drive down a winding mountain road in daytime during which a storm came over. There was rain and the wipers came on but no headlights. It is not really an option to take your eyes off the road during these conditions to find the 'on' icon for the lights. As previous posts have said, this used to be there. A change here is an absolute must - either add the option to have the lights come on if the wipers come on (best option) or adjust the sensitivity of the low light detection system that would activate the lights during the reduced light conditions brought on by rain. This is a critical safety issue that Tesla needs to address.
Use voice command?

Have you actually tried it? Maybe you should go out to you car and see what happens.
The only light control currently working with the Tesla voice command is the dome light function: Turn On/Off Dome Lights; Turn On/Off Lights, Turn On/Off Cabin Lights. Also, Dome Lights On/Off, etc.

The following voice commands are recognized but not yet implemented:
Turn On/Off fog lights
Turn On/Off parking lights

There is no voice command yet defined for turning On/Off the headlights or the high beam lights.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the voice command 'Turn headlights on' which it correctly interpreted, but gave the message 'This command is not available yet'. This would be a good solution if it was implemented, but my preference would be to have the option to have them come on automatically with the wipers.

My 86 Land Cruiser did not do this.
My Subaru Outback had manual/auto headlights as well, not linked to wipers. I turned them on permanently, as they shut off when the car was locked.

The DRLs are on anyway, but would be nice to just leave them on easily.

My state does not require headlights on when wipers are on; there are situations in my state where wipers are required but headlights are not. Do any states specifically require that headlights turn on whenever wipers are turned on? I ask because none of my other cars had/have that "feature."