TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Head of the Charles Regatta this weekend - Tesla marketing opportunity?

Discussion in 'New England' started by PeterK, Oct 18, 2013.

1. PeterK

PeterK Model S Owner

Yesterday my son made a very astute observation after noticing preparations being made for the Head of the Charles Regatta (HOC) along the river in Cambridge. He suggested that Tesla and TMC New England should try to organize a display of Model S's at the HOC, noting that the regatta attracts a high end crowd that luxury marketers target, and who might be Tesla-inclined.

I wish I'd thought of it earlier, but wondering whether there isn't someplace that we might attempt an informal/unofficial Model S gathering that would attract notice and publicize the cars and brand. The Regatta is Saturday and Sunday this weekend, locations and times here (The 2013 Regatta | Head Of The Charles Regatta | Boston MA | Cambridge MA | Charles River). I'm willing to park somewhere for a couple of hours late morning Saturday or midday Sunday. Anyone have ideas as to where might work, and willing to join up?

2. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

#2 Robert.Boston, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
    Great idea, Peter, but one that might be hard to pull off. My daughter rowed in three HOCR in recent years, so I've spent a lot of time along the river...

The difficulty is "where". Big chunks of roadway are blocked off, which makes the parking situation nearby even worse than usual. All the usual parking areas along the river, e.g. at the Riverside Boat Club or the parkland on the Boston side upstream of the Eliot Bridge, are closed off for official use only.

The heaviest foot traffic is around the Cambridge Boat Club near Mt. Auburn Hospital, and also around the Weeks bridge (which runs from HBS over to Leverett House). Tricky to find a bloc of parking there for Tesla demos.

3. PeterK

PeterK Model S Owner

I agree. I've volunteered on CBC gate security a couple of times and there aren't a lot of places for an impromptu action.

One idea would be just to get a number of cars together someplace and then drive a few loops through Harvard Square, across the bridge at JFK street, etc.

If nothing else, when I head over to watch a few races I'll make an effort to drive through the most populated area of Harvard Square and then park somewhere visible.

4. Tslagrl

Tslagrl Member

I haven't got much on this weekend, so if something does come together I might be able to come along......I'll watch this space!

5. PeterK

PeterK Model S Owner

I drove through Harvard Square twice this afternoon. Definitely a different crowd from normal - got a lot more looks and comments than usual. If a handful of Model S's drove through together it would definitely attract attention.

I'm willing to give it a shot tomorrow. Say meet at the Starbucks on soldiers field road in Brighton at 10:15-10:30am? Can we get a few cars together and drive through and around the race area for 45 min or so? Any takers?

6. PeterK

PeterK Model S Owner

Actually I realized I have an earlier commitment. How about 11:15-11:30am at Starbucks?

7. Tslagrl

Tslagrl Member

I'm game.....about 90% sure I can be there, will know for sure later tonight. I don't know that area at all tho, so I will be following everyone else ;-) I guess I don't drive into the city much.

Any other takers so we can create an impact?

ps - uh-oh just saw the updated time - makes it a little harder for me to be there but let me see what I can work out.........

8. PeterK

PeterK Model S Owner

#8 PeterK, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  9. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

I'll come. Probably wont stay for the actual event though.

10. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

I have been caught in the traffic in previous years, usually when I was going to "Microcenter" on Memorial Drive.
    They have a good sized parking lot (for Cambridge). I seem to remember a boat house accross from the parking lot,
    many boat trailers parked there too. That parking lot might work out, something to think about.
    I'll try to make it as well

11. PeterK

PeterK Model S Owner

That sounds like a good place to end the drive, Mitch - and there's a Starbucks there as well (also a Trader Joe's).

- - - Updated - - -

I plotted out a route for us, on the google maps link below. Ignore the letters along the way, they're just to help guide the route.

Starbucks to Unknown road - Google Maps

HOCR route.jpg

12. bigmaple1

bigmaple1 Member

I won't be able to make it, I have a previous commitment from 10am till 2pm or so. Good luck and post how it goes.

13. Tslagrl

Tslagrl Member

I RSVP'd on the meetup page - see you tomorrow!

14. PeterK

PeterK Model S Owner

Looks like we have at least four cars - meeting at 10:45 at the soldiers field road Starbucks in Brighton and heading out at 11. Would be great to get a few more... Jim, Ben, Hitesh, others?

15. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

I can't make it ... Open houses tomorrow.. .gotta find me a place to live (other than my sister's home)!

16. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

Wish I could make it tomorrow guys.... REALLY! But have plans....

Aaron

17. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

Skip them :)

18. HiTech

HiTech Member

I'm in the same boat as Aaron. Have a few things I need to get done tomorrow and cannot make it. If things change at the last minute, I'll try to make it... but, about 90% sure I will not be able to be there.

19. PeterK

PeterK Model S Owner

Aaron would have to drive 3 hours to get here so I completely understand... But Ben and Hitesh and Ed, do we need to shame you into showing up?

And where is Jim?

Come on guys, 6 or 8 cars would be a lot more impressive than 4... Imagine how many photos would be instagramed, tweeted or posted on Facebook.

20. linuxdrake

linuxdrake Member

Would love to be there but I will be with my Roommate looking for a house for him, got 3 open houses in Norton to check out..