Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heading to Honolulu for a brief vacation...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you rent a car while on Oahu, make your way up Round Top Drive (aka Tantalus). It's only about 20 minutes from Waikiki and has a spectacular view day or night. I took some friends last week (you end up being a tour guide living in Hawaii, but I'm not complaining).

image.jpg

diamond head.jpg

Last edited:
I've been monitoring this thread closely. My wife and I arrive on Oahu on June 4, leave for Kauai on June 6, return to Oahu June 10, and return to FL June 14. I'm heading over to attend my 40 yr high school reunion (Punahou Academy for you locals). I've not been back in almost 30 years, and my wife has never been there. We are really looking forward to being there.

i've rented an ICE vehicle for the second part of the trip, but if anyone wants to show off their Model S, I'm in!

I've been monitoring this thread closely. My wife and I arrive on Oahu on June 4, leave for Kauai on June 6, return to Oahu June 10, and return to FL June 14. I'm heading over to attend my 40 yr high school reunion (Punahou Academy for you locals). I've not been back in almost 30 years, and my wife has never been there. We are really looking forward to being there.

i've rented an ICE vehicle for the second part of the trip, but if anyone wants to show off their Model S, I'm in!

Hmmm...maybe we should try to get a bunch of us owners together for at least a pau hana meet up when you and wk057 are on island. Sounds like around the same time!

Hmmm...maybe we should try to get a bunch of us owners together for at least a pau hana meet up when you and wk057 are on island. Sounds like around the same time!

That would be fun. I'm in for whatever you folks want to do. I'd much rather hang loose with the locals than be a tourist the entire time (of course, Pearl Harbor will be a required tour). Maybe a lunch meetup would work? I might even pack my Tesla polo shirt.

Also need to show my wife the North Shore (Matsumoto shave ice included) Pali Lookout, and the Kailua area. So many places, so little time, and so much traffic. At least your gas is cheap (insert sarcastic emoticon here)

Count me in!! As long as I'm not working whatever day this lands on. If it's my off day I don't mind even doing a circle island tour and hitting one of the north shore shrimp trucks.

There are easy hikes on Oahu with great views like Diamondhead, Makapuu Lighthouse, and the Aiea loop trail.

Some eats you might want to try Lucky Belly, HASR Bistro, The Pig and The Lady, Sidestreet Inn, Alley Restaurant, Forty-niners, Boots & Kimo, Cinnamons, Rainbows, Dean's Drive Inn, Arancino on Beachwalk, Waikiki Brewing Co.

Matsumoto Shave Ice is still in Haleiwa but it's a new store.

Oh and please don't leave valuables in your car.

@StepenM
I can't believe that collision happened. Saw it on the news here in NorCal. Been there many time and believe that memorial is an important part of the American Heritage. My kids have been there, etc. Too bad.

All good with your discussion and plans for the visitors, you sound like a great host. I am in the SF Bay Area, but used to run operations in Hawaii. I know the dress code. :cool:

Enjoy the camaraderie!

@StepenM
I can't believe that collision happened. Saw it on the news here in NorCal. Been there many time and believe that memorial is an important part of the American Heritage. My kids have been there, etc. Too bad.

All good with your discussion and plans for the visitors, you sound like a great host. I am in the SF Bay Area, but used to run operations in Hawaii. I know the dress code. :cool:

Enjoy the camaraderie!

There was more clarity about the extent of the damage, and it looks like there was no damage to the Arizona itself, and only minor superficial damage to the memorial itself. So not too bad, but they said they expect tours to the memorial to be suspended for about a week while they repair the ramp and make it safe again. The visitors center is unaffected, and I think that alone is worth the trip, albeit not complete without the boat ride to the memorial. Hopefully they really can finish in a week.

- - - Updated - - -

How about the 11th? At least for lunch or pau Hana? It's King Kam day so it's a holiday though my office is open but I can try to sneak away.

I'll go ahead and schedule myself off on the 11th, though that's no guarantee that something won't come up. Hopefully that day works for our guests.

How about the 11th? At least for lunch or pau Hana? It's King Kam day so it's a holiday though my office is open but I can try to sneak away.

We we are hoping to visit the Pearl Harbor Memorial that AM (and probably a quick run up to Punchbowl). Hopefully the holiday does not effect hours at the memorial. I'll need to check the website. The Pau Hana idea might work best for us, but we also have an event starting between 5 & 6, as I am visiting as part of my high school reunion at Punahou.

We we are hoping to visit the Pearl Harbor Memorial that AM (and probably a quick run up to Punchbowl). Hopefully the holiday does not effect hours at the memorial. I'll need to check the website. The Pau Hana idea might work best for us, but we also have an event starting between 5 & 6, as I am visiting as part of my high school reunion at Punahou.

Since they put tickets to AZ Memorial on a website a lot are reserved by tour business. Some percentage (about 25%) are retained for walk ups. Suggestion if you don't mind., Go early. Go very early to increase your chances of getting walk up tickets. Additionally the exhibits have changed. You can spend a lot of time taking in the exhibits before the movie and trip. Much better attraction. Worth it, even if you don't get a ticket to the AZ.

Since they put tickets to AZ Memorial on a website a lot are reserved by tour business. Some percentage (about 25%) are retained for walk ups. Suggestion if you don't mind., Go early. Go very early to increase your chances of getting walk up tickets. Additionally the exhibits have changed. You can spend a lot of time taking in the exhibits before the movie and trip. Much better attraction. Worth it, even if you don't get a ticket to the AZ.

yeah, I tried the web reservation system but got skunked. Either I will pay for a tour or will be there at 6:30 am. That's assuming no more boats decide to hit the Memorial.

and don't forget the tickets are FREE. do not pay the tour companies for the tickets they get for free.

I am in Hawaii in October and reading through this all gives me a Tesla smile and IT is
like the acceleration with the P85D

Dont mind my English it is not so good but I can get around
Im from Austria and looking already fortwarf going there
Is there a big Tesla Community

and don't forget the tickets are FREE. do not pay the tour companies for the tickets they get for free.

Hi David,

I hate to pay for free tix, but also am not sure how much of a risk I will be taking for the walk up tix. Does anyone have any experience re this? I'd almost rather pay a tour company $40 instead of standing in line for 2 hours with a risk that I will not get tix.

i tried the ticket website a couple of months ago and even then it reflected no advance tickets were available. Although the web site is not clear, it looks like online tix also become available at 7am the day before the desired tours. Again, does anyone out there have any insight re the probability of scoring tix through that system?

thanks to all for your suggestions!

Steve

- - - Updated - - -

Akikiki, Thanks for the tip re no bags. I only recently discovered this, and it was on a private tour website. Is the parking area secure? I would think the "bad guys" would know about this policy and would target the area.

moderators - sorry for a thread that is not Tesla specific!