Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heading to Honolulu for a brief vacation...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely gathered up some suggestions from this thread and have been checking things off the list, so thanks everyone. :)

Heading to the Big Island on Monday for a day trip mainly for the volcano related stuff. Wife and I are the science types, so this is cool stuff!

Drove around Oahu a bit in my (not a Model S :mad:) rental . Traffic hasn't been as bad as people made it out to be. Not used to the super low speed limits, though. Got some pretty good photos.

Snorkeled Hanauma Bay yesterday.... got burnt to a crisp even with sunblock. lol. So, today has been a mostly indoor recovery day. Shopping for gifts and whatnot. Did get some pretty awesome GoPro pics though.

G0147255-crop.jpg

Overall... being a tourist like I'm supposed to be. :p

Edit: On a side note...... I feel for Hawaiian day traders... opening bell at 3:30AM... sheesh.

Edit 2: Another side note.... I generally don't post publicly about my whereabouts until after the fact. We got here on Wednesday, actually. Starting today, however, I have some family staying at my place until a week or so after I return. So, can safely mention without worrying about some unscrupulous reading coming to the conclusion that my home is fresh pickings.... not that many who could deduce that location would be taking on such a task... but, I'm paranoid in that regard.

Last edited:
The burger, clams and seafood stew are good too.

There's some interesting places to eat in and around Haleiwa and North Shore. There's a mex place in the Haleiwa Marketplace. Where there's also two art galleries. One is owned by a local Model S owner. George is his first name. He's busy always, but can take a minute to chat with another Tesla owner.

The General Store in Haleiwa Marketplace has a tropical fruit shave ice and is tasty. And there's other places in Haleiwa such a Haleiwa Joe's at the bridge, and Jameson's across from the Haleiwa beach park/harbor. Food is really good at both. If you continue north pass Three Tables and Shark's Cove, you will find Ted's Bakery on the right. Easy to miss it. Really really good pies and cakes plus sandwiches. Continuing around the island to Turtle Beach Hotel and past it you will come to the shrimp trucks. Always good food. Continuing south now in a couple more miles you come to Kahuku where the Sugar Mill used to be. Small community. On the left side of the highway, there's a First Hawaiian Bank branch and a general store with gas pumps. In that general store building is Kahuku Grill, they have really big and tasty burgers. This is also home to WiliWili Shave Ice and I think its the best shave ice on North Shore - including you know whose that is very famous.

If you have made it this far, you are about three miles from Polynesian Cultural Center. They've recently opened a market place with stores and food just outside the main attraction. If you continue south you are about 23 miles from the intersection of Likelike Highway and H3 and you can take either back to Honolulu.

Last edited:
Lawsteve, let us know as it gets closer what's a good time for you to meet next Thursday or another date/time. Hopefully at least a few of us will be able to meet you. Am thinking Nico's at Pier 38 is always a good place to meet since parking is easy.
Hi there. We are set for the 9am Pearl Harbor tour, and then a drive up to Punchbowl. Am thinking of hitting Palace Saimin for lunch. I'm up for anything later in the afternoon. Was thinking drinks and pupus, as I have a function to attend starting between 5&6.We are staying near Waikiki ( The Modern), thus not enough time for a North Shote run.Otherwise I'm up for anything, and also understand if things are too busy to try to set something up last minute.

Hi there. We are set for the 9am Pearl Harbor tour, and then a drive up to Punchbowl. Am thinking of hitting Palace Saimin for lunch. I'm up for anything later in the afternoon. Was thinking drinks and pupus, as I have a function to attend starting between 5&6.We are staying near Waikiki ( The Modern), thus not enough time for a North Shote run.Otherwise I'm up for anything, and also understand if things are too busy to try to set something up last minute.

How about Nico's around 3? Or other suggestions? Ward?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, to be fair I've only tried the fish there, which always seems to be fresh. Not sure about the other selections :biggrin:

I like their chicken katsu and pork chops :)

Last edited:
How about Nico's around 3? Or other suggestions? Ward?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I'm not sure if wk057 is joining us or not, but he already went to Nico's.
I would suggest Side Street Inn (on da strip, the one on Kapahulu) as it's close to Waikiki and that time of the day there should be ample parking. Plus the food is good and cheap :smile:
LawSteve, let me know if you would prefer to be picked up and I could swing by and get you at the hotel.

I wouldn't mind checking out the new place in Ward called Bellini, as my friend manages it, but it is a bit pricy. Only plus here is that it takes better advantage of the weather as there is open air seating, though that also means it can't be air-conditioned and it is getting warm. What do you guys think?

Well, I'm not sure if wk057 is joining us or not, but he already went to Nico's.
I would suggest Side Street Inn (on da strip, the one on Kapahulu) as it's close to Waikiki and that time of the day there should be ample parking. Plus the food is good and cheap :smile:
LawSteve, let me know if you would prefer to be picked up and I could swing by and get you at the hotel.

I wouldn't mind checking out the new place in Ward called Bellini, as my friend manages it, but it is a bit pricy. Only plus here is that it takes better advantage of the weather as there is open air seating, though that also means it can't be air-conditioned and it is getting warm. What do you guys think?

Been wanting to try Bellini :smile:

Let me think about this. I can drive my Rental Chevy Sonic ICE, or get picked up in a Tesla. As long as it is not an imposition, I would love the pick up option. We are staying at The Modern. I think it will just be me, as my wife is already saying she needs time to get ready for the evening function. Sorry, you folks are getting a bum deal, as she's a lot better looking than me!

I'm at your command re where we go, as long as I am back at the hotel by 5:30 at the latest.

Just tell me when, and I'll be at the front of the hotel. Looking forward to meeting some Hawaii owners!

I had another Tesla sighting on the way from the airport today. Between 3:30 and 4 was headed down Nimitz toward Waikiki. While I was cursing at the lack of power in my rental, an MC Red went blowing by.

Let me think about this. I can drive my Rental Chevy Sonic ICE, or get picked up in a Tesla. As long as it is not an imposition, I would love the pick up option. We are staying at The Modern. I think it will just be me, as my wife is already saying she needs time to get ready for the evening function. Sorry, you folks are getting a bum deal, as she's a lot better looking than me!

I'm at your command re where we go, as long as I am back at the hotel by 5:30 at the latest.

Just tell me when, and I'll be at the front of the hotel. Looking forward to meeting some Hawaii owners!

I had another Tesla sighting on the way from the airport today. Between 3:30 and 4 was headed down Nimitz toward Waikiki. While I was cursing at the lack of power in my rental, an MC Red went blowing by.

I'll come get you at 3 :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Actually doing Hy's for the last evening here.

Nice choice!