Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heading to South Carolina for the eclipse. Where will you watch from?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I will be heading to Orangeburg SC (South Carolina) tomorrow, about 15 mins from Santee SC (Supercharger). The NWS weather report for Santee is currently showing mostly cloudy, so may move if weather satellite shows its clear nearby.

If the weather holds, the Santee Supercharger may be a great place to watch. And being fully charged when the eclipse ends seems like a good idea.

Anybody else heading there for the event?

For Chicagolanders not going to St. Louis, Carbondale or elsewhere for the Total Solar Eclipse on Monday 2017 AUG 21, here is my rendering of how the maximum of the Partial Solar Eclipse should appear from Chicago's Adler Planetarium. Of course the Moon should actually appear the same color as the sky, but I've darkened it to emphasize its positioning. The next Total Solar Eclipse visible from at least a portion of the city of Chicago will occur on 2099 SEP 14. You kids who plan to see that 2099 eclipse may want to drive north of Milwaukee for a longer duration of totality.

Eclipse-Chicago.JPG

Right... and we only have to worry about the Tesla owners in that group.

I don't think there's going to be soul crushing traffic.

But I suspect the tiny Santee General Store might be a tad busy on Monday. It's a great stop if you need fireworks or bait. ;)

Cool graphic, though.

Have you seen the West Coast eclipse threads? 22 car lines at the Corning supercharger, 4 hour waits, etc. And that started yesterday.

It seems the Venn diagram of Tesla owners and folks willing to travel to see an eclipse has a lot of overlap.

Have you seen the West Coast eclipse threads? 22 car lines at the Corning supercharger, 4 hour waits, etc. And that started yesterday.

It seems the Venn diagram of Tesla owners and folks willing to travel to see an eclipse has a lot of overlap.
Yeah, but South Carolina is pretty much the worst cloud cover along the path in the East so the smart folks should be going further West.

WireAP_72c559b3ceff46a5a5d24bca8e161088_12x5_992.jpg

Yeah, but South Carolina is pretty much the worst cloud cover along the path in the East so the smart folks should be going further West.
Specifically I81 and I75 (and superchargers along those roads) should get much more congestion than I95. Since Knoxville has much clearer skies predicted, and is just about the same distance for most of those 75 million people on the East coast.