Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headings in Tesla Charging Report

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just downloaded the report from my Tesla account that shows all the Supercharging sessions and how much you've taken and the cost per kw of each as I was trying to work out exactly what my trip to Paris should have cost me and how much I saved using refferal miles, but I am slightly confused by the three headings;

QuantityBase
QuantityTier1
QuantityTier2

The tier 1 and 2 are to do with the different charge rates as some locations charge more based on charging rate, fair enough.

The one that's confusing is Quantity Base - on most of the entries this is equal to Tier1+2 added together (makes sense), but on others, it's not - and not just due to rounding, its way out by between 5-10 kw.

So does anyone know what QuantityBase actually is?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-06 at 16.10.56.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-06 at 16.10.56.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 156
So does anyone know what QuantityBase actually is?
Looking at the printout it reads to me a bit like 'gross amount' delivered. I believe you only pay for the charge that actually gets into your car, rather than the amount expended to deliver it (which I believe some charge for), so you would only be charged for the net amount. i.e. 21 kwh v 18 (15 +3) kwh on the first entry.

Reactions: Alistairuk
Looking at the printout it reads to me a bit like 'gross amount' delivered. I believe you only pay for the charge that actually gets into your car, rather than the amount expended to deliver it (which I believe some charge for), so you would only be charged for the net amount. i.e. 21 kwh v 18 (15 +3) kwh on the first entry.

Strangely I have seen the totals of the tiers being higher than the quantity base ... which shouldn't be the case if it's the gross amount.

Strike that theory then. As you were...

... but though it isn't the total of the other "Tiers" it IS the quantity that you are charged for. So multiply the QuantityBase by the pence/kWh to get the actual charge. If you are actually paying for Supercharging that's how it is shown. I've no idea what the Tiers business is about but you can ignore it for working out how much you would have been charged.

... but though it isn't the total of the other "Tiers" it IS the quantity that you are charged for. So multiply the QuantityBase by the pence/kWh to get the actual charge. If you are actually paying for Supercharging that's how it is shown. I've no idea what the Tiers business is about but you can ignore it for working out how much you would have been charged.
I'm wondering if perhaps you only get charged for what has gone into the battery and not what has been used to pre-heat / do whatever else as the ones where gross is substantially below was at stops where I was only charging at 30-40kw for the majority of the time according to the car's screen (The Eurotunnel one being where I only gained around 30% battery in the 30 minutes) - in which case as you say, Gross is what it has charged you (or would have charged me in my case)....

Tier 1 and Tier 2 I don't think are used anywhere in the UK / EU for billing (but clearly their system still records it) - according to Tesla it's for sites where they are unable to bill you for electricity used and instead you are charged per minute you are charging; the two tiers exist because they recognize that you will charge faster for part of the session (consume more power), and slower for the other part, thus they have different rates (can't remember which one is what, or where I found the page, but it's on Tesla's website somewhere).

The thing that threw me is I would have expected Gross to be Tier1+Tier 2 (give or take some rounding errors), but there's several where Tier1+2 values are much higher than Gross - so I guess that's possibly where it comes down to if they only actually charge you for what's delivered to the battery?

Moot point anyway, I was only looking out of interest :)

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
Is Tier 1 and 2 not related to using a 150kw charger where stalls are paired? Tier 2 is when you have full power to yourself and Tier 1 when you are sharing the power between A and B chargers and you get less power per car

ETA: found it now:
  • When billing per minute, there are two tiers to account for changes in charging speeds, called “tier 1” and “tier 2”.
    • Tier 1 applies while cars are charging at or below 60 kW and tier 2 applies while cars are charging above 60 kW. Tier 1 is half the cost of tier 2.
    • Tier 1 also applies anytime your vehicle is sharing Supercharger power with another car.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
  • When billing per minute, there are two tiers to account for changes in charging speeds, called “tier 1” and “tier 2”.

Billed per minute? Has/Is something changing?

Don’t we get charged per kWh (referral miles are deducted from kWh credit remaining) so charge rate largely immaterial unless they are putting a premium on convenience for charging at faster speed/giving a discount for slow or long charge?

Last edited:
Some superchargers have two rates including here, a peak and off peak rate. If that’s the same in France, and you happened to be charging when the rate changed I don’t know how that gets reflected.

But the tiers themselves are linked to charge rate and whether v2 sharing

Go it. Its on a site by site (area by area?) basis. So what UK Supercharger sites are billing by the minute?

tesla.com said:
  • Where possible, owners are billed per kWh (kilowatt-hour), which is the most fair and simple method. In other areas, we bill for the service per minute.
    • Tier 1 applies while cars are charging at or below 60 kW and tier 2 applies while cars are charging above 60 kW. Tier 1 is half the cost of tier 2.
    • Tier 1 also applies anytime your vehicle is sharing Supercharger power with another car.

Areas = countries/states/where local laws insist.. No U.K. superchargers are per minute. It looks like the 2 odd balls the op had were in France. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is simply a Tesla displaying incorrect units for per minute charging and you get 2 mins when below 60kw for the price of 1.