Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlamps not working.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I jumped in the car the other day at 7AMthe headlamps seemed to have died overnight. No dipped or mains, although the "eyebrow" lights out out a surprising amount of light on a country lane. I pulled in and rebooted, no change. As I was pressed for time I carried on. About 10 minutes later the dipped beams sprung into life, but still no main beam. Pushing or pulling on the stack made no difference and the main beam indicator wasn't appearing.
I got to my destination and tried rebooting, this time with the brake pushed down. No change. I then did a headlamp recalibration and the main beam came back to life.
Anyone had this behaviour before? I'm hoping that this info might help someone else with a headlamp failure.

When my 2021 was first delivered one headlight didn’t work. Following day mobile tech arrived and it was working fine. No work completed and never an issue since. I just think it hadn’t initialised properly. Either remote diagnostics or a proper sleep solved it.

I’d say just ‘monitor’ and see if it happens again. Did you recently get an update?

Did you try switching them on manually from the touch screen?

Might have found that toggling them on/off manually from the screen, then putting them back to automatic may have fixed it.
Yep, I tried that. At first I thought that the control stalk had failed, but then when the headlamps didn't work via the screen it had to be either failed headlamp units (unlikely for both to fail at the same time) or software. There's no fuses AFAIK in the M3 which would be the normal thing to check.

So there are electronic fuses in the M3, if the measured current exceeds a programmed threshold that circuit is cut. I would expect the headlamps to be on such circuit.

These e fuses auto reset after a certain time, maybe that's why the first time it mysteriously resolved after 10 minutes or so.

If that is happening, the root cause would likely be a hardware fault though.

I suggest to make a note of the date and time it happened and include that when reporting this to Tesla.

Not quite the same but my lights were hopeless when I started the dark January morning run after new year. I appeared to have some sort of diamond shaped pattern on low beam and high beam did nothing but light-up the night sky above me. I just pressed the calibrate button and after various whirring noises, it seemed to sort everything out.