Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlight adjustment needed post release?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveW

May 21, 2019
Beds, UK
Anyone else noticed their headlights (Model 3 in my case) adjusted to a higher level after an update.

I reset the headlights last year after getting flashed a lot, reset worked and no more flashing. Did a journey in the dark last night and pretty much everyone flashed me.

Ran the levelling again today and they’ve noticeably dropped down, can only assume a software update reset them.

Not sure which update btw, not been out in the dark much in a while!

Anyone else?

Yes. happened to me a couple of updates ago. First trip out after dark and I discovered the headlights were way up in the air. When I got to the pub, I parked with the car reasonably level, facing a wall, and tried the adjustment menu. I was expecting to have to faff around trying to get the lights back down to something safe enough to drive home, but found that when I went into the auto option in the headlight adjustment settings it set the lights back to where they had been before the update. Not sure what caused it, but it was definitely the first night drive after an update when this happened.

Reactions: DaveW
Yes. happened to me a couple of updates ago. First trip out after dark and I discovered the headlights were way up in the air. When I got to the pub, I parked with the car reasonably level, facing a wall, and tried the adjustment menu. I was expecting to have to faff around trying to get the lights back down to something safe enough to drive home, but found that when I went into the auto option in the headlight adjustment settings it set the lights back to where they had been before the update. Not sure what caused it, but it was definitely the first night drive after an update when this happened.

Glad it’s not me going mad!

Bit of a stupid thing to reset in an update though!!

I agree, it's a really bizarre fault for an update to cause. The fact that it doesn't seem to affect everyone indicates that it may need a particular set of conditions to be met, perhaps during the update, or in the car settings somewhere, to cause the lights to be motored skywards. I'm pretty sure that mine were up so high they had hit the stops, so perhaps there was some sort of runaway problem. Since resetting them, I've noticed that they aren't offset to the left as much as they used to be, so I think I'm going to have to take the car in and get them properly set. If I had to guess, I'd say there's a chance that the reset has set the lights as if the car was in the USA, with the lights biased towards the right.

I had that a month ago. Not sure if it was a recent release issue or not as haven’t been doing much night driving.
Opening the headlight adjustment definitely lowered them but turns out it lowered them too far.
Booked into the Service Centre and they checked and fixed it in 10 mins
Lesson learned. I’ve got a mark on the garage door showing the correct height now.

Reactions: Yachtsman and DaveW