Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlight Alignment - Getting Flashed - Solution (M3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's exactly right - and no flashes from others since I did this :)

I‘ve been getting flashed by oncoming drivers for the last 3 weeks. They clearly thought I had my main beam on (I didn’t). I did as advised in this thread and as they were calibrating could see the headlight beam lowering by quite a bit. So hopefully this fixes the issue for me too.

However, why would this change over time? Makes no sense to me.

Reactions: hcdavis3
So just to add into this. I did have an alignment issue with the 2021.12.X update. Did the same thing and I was getting flashed a lot. It’s also impossible to tell where your lights are in the calibration mode because they don’t project the whole beam anymore, just a pattern. I took it to a service centre who said it was massively out of spec and they could see where it had changed in the logs and it was right after the software update.

Reactions: Avendit
I've had this exact issue a whole heap of times (2019LR Model3).

End up using the house opposite as my reference points to where the headlight beam is situated whenever it's dark out - servicing menu to reset the light, manually adjust both left and right to their very lowest setting, and then i count exactly how many "notches" on the thumb scroll i do to match both sides (pain in the *** trying to eyeball it).

Don't have any trust in the 'click the reset and leave it to it' as was caught out on a drive Aberdeen>Gretna latenight going "my god...the beams are so low!".

Reactions: Nick77 and Avendit
I find the auto levelling a bit too low for me. Seems like there's only a car length of light ahead of me and I get annoyed I can't see further.

So I do the calibration then nudge each side up 5 times. Much better and haven't been flashed yet.

My beams have been fine for ages but I noticed today that my beams seem to have been raised by this latest (2021.36) software update and did a quick and dirty reset on my driveway to stop annoying other drivers.
I'll have another beam reset session when I can find flat ground and a nice light target to point to.