Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlight auto dimming only works occasionally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem I had was that it would activate on the 4 lane divided, well-lit freeway, which just shouldn't happen at all.
It is fairly sensitive to lights to the side like that (but doesn't always dim on divided highways), however the lights are pretty bright so it might not be erring to far on the side of caution here. I regularly get flashed by people that didn't notice my headlights dim. :/

I also tried this feature for all of 5 minutes before realizing it was utterly unreliable and useless. Many times in any tech field, engineers implement automation that’s useful. Sometimes they implement automation that sounds like it’d be useful but turns out not so once it’s in the wild. Auto-dimming is an example of the latter.

Just turn it off and leave it off. There’s no point.

2018 called, they want their hot take back. :p

Since somewhere around 2019.8.X I've been quite satisfied with the Auto WW. I, on rare occasions use a single push if the windshield has droplets but nothing further is coming. However I haven't set it on a manual speed in a couple months or so. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’ve thought things were “fixed” dozens of times. I can guarantee they work just as crappy. They vary a ton. Utterly useless at night in light rain. Almost work in daylight.

Anyone else seeing this feature only working intermittently?? Mine are sporadic, and sometimes will only work after I use stalk a few times to do it manually....

They work way better than the Auto High Beams on my 2017 Toyota Highlander. The Tesla appears to not be fooled as easily by reflectors, reflective street signs, traffic lights, street lights, etc. It really does seem to be able to identify headlights and tail lights, and is relatively sensitive to them. Is it as good as a human could do, in terms of going back to high beams quickly, and dimming as quickly? No. Does it have some false positives? Yes. Is it less likely to completely dazzle oncoming traffic, as compared to a human who might entirely forget to dim their highbeams? Yes - I have never seen it fail to dim the high beams at some reasonable point before the oncoming vehicle arrives - though it will not be quite as quick as an alert driver.

I have not seen any sporadic behavior that could not be explained by lights that were present and visible to the cameras.

Last edited:
I’ve thought things were “fixed” dozens of times.
They indeed improved it dozens of times. I've seen steady, progressive improvements. It has gotten to the point where I'm satisfied with the state of affairs. If they manage to improve it past here it'll either be for conditions I haven't seen in the last couple months or just some polishing that'll get me to, say, "happy".