Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlight auto dimming override?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Auto headlight dimming works very well on the streets. However driving down narrow winding driveways or country roads the headlight auto dim when I want them to be on high. (No other cars on the road) I think the sensor gets confused by the light reflecting off surrounding bushes and trees. Seems like the only way to manually switch to high beam is turn off auto dimming in the settings. Anyone know if a short cut to temporarily override low beam?

Auto headlight dimming works very well on the streets. However driving down narrow winding driveways or country roads the headlight auto dim when I want them to be on high. (No other cars on the road) I think the sensor gets confused by the light reflecting off surrounding bushes and trees. Seems like the only way to manually switch to high beam is turn off auto dimming in the settings. Anyone know if a short cut to temporarily override low beam?

You have better "on" time than me. I can almost NEVER get them to stay on. I think it detects a car before it even sees light and dims. o_O

It's frustrating that this feature works so poorly. For me, the lights dim every time there's a reflective sign within 100 meters of the car., So the high beams are on, off, on, off, on, off so much it makes one dizzy. And even when it sort of works like it's supposed to, it takes a full 3 seconds to return to high beams after an oncoming car has passed. In that time, I've traveled over 80 meters in relative darkness. There's no logical reason why It should take more than >1 second after that car passes to return to high beams. Other manufacturers have had auto hi-beams perfected for well over ten years. Tesla has had 5 years to work on it, but they're not really even close to getting it right.

Reactions: Marie Clasby