Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlight indicator always on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The green headlight indicator is always on in my car. I have a S75D AP2 with 17.22.46. I have headlights set to Auto. But no matter what I change that setting to, I always see that little green headlight indicator on in the top left in the dash. Is this normal? I'm asking in the Canadian forum in case there's something specific related to DRL laws in Canada.

Not high beams. I tried setting it to off and it goes off. It seems like it considers the signature/DRL lights to be "headlights" and thus that indicator is always on. Seems strange.

Can someone else in Ontario confirm their behaviour while in Auto headlight mode during the day?

My understanding is that the Model S doesn't have DRL lights so they have to turn the headlights on. (What they have is "Signature" lights, but maybe they don't meet the Canadian specs necessary to be considered DRLs.)

They are considered DRL lights in Canada. This is what I have on all the time in day time.

I never had the issue indicated by the OP. Unless I have the wipers ON, the headlights are always off as well as the indicator.

PS. My headlights are always in the Auto position.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe
I have the green headlight indicator on all of the time as well. Setting defaults to 'auto' when I get in the MS and only turns off when manually adjusted and the car is parked. If you drive off the lights turn on automatically. There doesn't seem to be a difference between DRL and "full' headlights. If your SC can change this please let me know!

Ok thanks. So seems like I have an issue as others are saying that green indicator is not always on for them. I already have an appointment on Tuesday so will have them check that too.

Did the service centre resolve the issue for you?

I have the green indicator on all the time even though the headlights are set to "auto". As you can see in my photos, the green indicator and headlights are on even when it's extremely bright outside.

I had suspected that it might be because whatever light sensor was covered by snow, but the issue persists even after a car wash.

Attachments

• IMG_20180216_145939.jpg
    IMG_20180216_145939.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20180216_145838.jpg
    IMG_20180216_145838.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 60
My understanding is that the Model S doesn't have DRL lights so they have to turn the headlights on. (What they have is "Signature" lights, but maybe they don't meet the Canadian specs necessary to be considered DRLs.)

I posted the same observation in a different thread a while back. Here is the answer:

Cars with the earlier headlights had the DRL function built in to the "eyebrow" light. It came on bright with the DRLs and would dim down when the headlights came on. (It would also dim down when the turn signals are used in the daytime). On these cars, the dashboard headlight indicator only comes on when the headlights are on.

On newer cars, the "eyebrow" strip only has one brightness level (equivalent to the lower level on older cars) and so the only way to satisfy Canadian DRL requirements is to run the regular low beam headlights full time. As such, on newer cars, the dashboard headlight indicator is on all the time.