Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlight malfunction

Saw this today. :(
Looks like 2 out of the 3 low beam led failed.

anyone know of headlight replacement requires taking out the bumper?

Attachments

• D9D836DF-6246-43C2-B1DB-84AE7F4DB8C8.jpeg
    D9D836DF-6246-43C2-B1DB-84AE7F4DB8C8.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 68B65470-39B2-44A9-A625-D0495CCF056A.jpeg
    68B65470-39B2-44A9-A625-D0495CCF056A.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 94
Nope. Tesla mobile service came to my house and replaced my passenger side headlight in 30 mins without taking off the bumper. Took apart the frunk to access headlight housing.

Are you just talking about a bulb rather than an entire housing? I don't see how it would be possible to remove the headlight assembly without taking off the bumper. At least not without causing unnecessary damage to the fender and/or bumper. Or do you have any pics on how he achieved this?

Are you just talking about a bulb rather than an entire housing? I don't see how it would be possible to remove the headlight assembly without taking off the bumper. At least not without causing unnecessary damage to the fender and/or bumper. Or do you have any pics on how he achieved this?

i looked it up afterwards. That entire housing is held with 2 screws. One accessed from frunk area and the other from wheel well. Maybe after loosening up the screws, y out can rotate the light inside the fender and take it out?? That’s the only way I can think of.

i looked it up afterwards. That entire housing is held with 2 screws. One accessed from frunk area and the other from wheel well. Maybe after loosening up the screws, y out can rotate the light inside the fender and take it out?? That’s the only way I can think of.

I don't see this working as the housing is still to large for the opening you see. The housing is larger than the visible lenses and unless you're forcing it against either the fender or the bumper there's no way to remove it cleanly.

Of course seeing is believing sometimes so I'd be happy to see photos or a video of it being done if somehow possible

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC