Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlight "ON" when "OFF" is this a CDN thing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
OK, I think Tesla has diddled with the software again.

I'm sitting in my car it's dusk.. I'm parked (P) and waiting for a person to come out of bldg for pickup.

Not wanting my headlights "ON" any more.. I slide the button to OFF. The headlights are still ON. I slide it to parking lights only position, and get that only (headlights go off).. slide it back to OFF and the headlights come ON.

WTF?

Reactions: Imafrog
Maybe you have the Headlights After Exit feature turned on? Excerpt from the Model X manual (same as Model S):

Headlights After Exit

When you stop driving and park Model X in low lighting conditions, the exterior lights automatically turn on. They automatically turn off after one minute or when you lock Model X.

You can turn this feature on and off using the touchscreen. Touch Controls > Settings > Vehicle > Headlights After Exit. When Headlights After Exit is set to Off , the headlights turn off when you engage the Park gear.

Maybe you have the Headlights After Exit feature turned on? Excerpt from the Model X manual (same as Model S):

Headlights After Exit

When you stop driving and park Model X in low lighting conditions, the exterior lights automatically turn on. They automatically turn off after one minute or when you lock Model X.

You can turn this feature on and off using the touchscreen. Touch Controls > Settings > Vehicle > Headlights After Exit. When Headlights After Exit is set to Off , the headlights turn off when you engage the Park gear.

That could be it, thanks. It was dark, so the 'low light' condition applied to this situation.

I'll look into that setting. Long time ago I turned that feature off... maybe an alternate driver turned it on, or a software update changed it back to its default on. It could also be that now days are getting shorter I'm actually driving in the dark again whereas I mostly commute during the day and might have forgotten this was the way it was last winter.

Strange thing still being seated in driver's seat while trying to turn off the lights and they came on. It's like it's fighting you. I could understand this feature happening like it says, after exit, when you lift your butt off the seat, as in leaving the car now... But to have it happen before I exit caught me off guard.

Same issue, but with a Model S in Canada ever since a 7.1x update about a month ago. I have never tried Doug's fix, but am able to get the lights to remain off in Park if I first turn them off in Neutral. However, shifting to Neutral doesn't seem to work for everyone.

I suspect this is Canada-specific bug

Yep. Three firmware releases with this bug so far, and I have sent Tesla bug reports every time. I hope 8 fixes it.

Also, and concurrently with the "always on" bug, in broad daylight the HIDs will briefly "flash" every time you turn the car on before the DRLs illuminate. Not good for the life of HID bulbs to be flashing them all the time like this. I also advised Tesla of this, but no fix for that yet either.

• Informative
Reactions: RiverBrick
Something changed in one of the recent software updates. I just noticed this same problem today, it definitely behaves differently.

I'll often drop my wife off somewhere and wait in the car for her. Previously I could simply go to the controls and turn the lights from Auto to Off and the headlights would turn off. Not any more. And btw I already have Headlights after exit = Off.

The previously mentioned trick to open the door after taking your weight off the seat works to turn off the headlights.

This really pisses me off, because it was fixed for Canada after being wrong in the very early releases in 2012-2013, and now they regressed it again. For those of us that travel on open ferries this time of year, it is a real pain. Even if you get the lights off, one false move with the brake pedal, and the lights can come on again, blinding the sea captain if one's Tesla is near the front of the boat.

In addition to Doug's work-around (raise butt or step out of car and open and shut door), you can also get them off by powering down the car completely (Controls->e-Brake->Power Off). You can then turn the computers back on with a quick touch of the screen.

C'mon Tesla, if it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!

I just use the "Bug Report" feature in the car (press the mic button, say Bug Report followed by a very brief description of the problem).
Be aware that Tesla reps have specifically told me that nobody looks at those. So I don't recommend using that method.
email to [email protected] gets looked at, though I'm not confident that they have any process in place for actually addressing these sorts of issues.

Really? Well, that sucks. Why enable a feature like that in the first place, then?
There are 2 possibilities here, and I think it's a combination of the two really.
1) it was put in for the first cars, when the volume of reports was tiny, and they wanted to address each and every one, but now it's become unworkable but they never removed it.
2) it allows you to "snapshot" a specific situation so that if the service centre wants to dig for an intermittent issue they can look at it when you have stated that it happens (SC pulling the information only after being made aware through other channels)

2) it allows you to "snapshot" a specific situation so that if the service centre wants to dig for an intermittent issue they can look at it when you have stated that it happens (SC pulling the information only after being made aware through other channels)

There used to be another way of saving a "snapshot" of a current situation which the SC or mothership could download at a later date. It was separate from the Bug Report feature, but I forgot exactly how it worked. It was something like the re-boot procedure, only using different steering wheel buttons, I believe.