TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Headlight Protection from UV clouding

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by DHG., Jan 12, 2017.

1. DHG.

DHG. Member

Nothing makes a car look old and outdated like headlights that are cloudy and discolored. My garage is not deep enough to put my car new S 90D into without removing my tool cabinets which I love. Therefore I am considering parking my Model S in my driveway and I'm worried about the headlights fogging up and becoming cloudy from UV light. I am sure lots of Tesla owners park their cars outside so I thought I'd ask how are your lights fairing in the sun or any recommendations on how to protect them. I live in Los Angeles so it's quite sunny here,

2. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

I can't answer your question directly, but I spend a lot of time here on TMC, and I don't recall seeing people posting about problems with headlight clouding.

I realize that doesn't help much, but perhaps it helps a little.

3. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

This would be an industry standard part. ( the polycarbonate). Seems other cars start this process after around 5 years in full sun exposure. Probably a reasonable guess therefore for the Tesla.

4. sorka

sorka Active Member

Mine are covered with xpel ultimate but I haven't seen modern headlights film over from UV decomposition in years. Even my 2009 Prius bought new in 2008 with 240K miles on it hasn't started to cloud over yet.

But my 1995 Lexus SC400 clouded over within 4 years. Easy fix. Rotary buff with liquid rubbing compound and their as clear as when they were new which what I did on the Lexus every 2 or 3 years for the 18 years that I had it.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1