Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlight replacement on 2015 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BrettS

Mar 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
So it would appear that the passenger side headlight on my 2015 Model S has burned out. Neither the high nor low beam functions on that side anymore. The car has 91,000 miles on it, but it is still covered under an extended warranty. However the extended warranty has a $200 deductible and I suspect that with parts and labor it will be close to $200 for Tesla to replace the bulb, so I’m thinking I might want to just replace it myself.

So my first question is... how do I determine which bulb I have? My car is an early 2015 (manufactured 3/15) and it does have a power liftgate, so I believe that means that it has the tech package (I bought the car used, so I never saw the window sticker or option list). Will Tesla sell me the bulb or can I get it elsewhere?

Second, is there a good write up on accessing and replacing the bulb?

Thanks much:)

Oh, wow, I didn’t realize how expensive those bulbs were. Suddenly the $200 extended warranty deductible isn’t looking so bad. I might just let Tesla do it this time, but in watching the video it doesn’t look like too bad of a job next time when the warranty has expired.

Typically you want to replace these bulbs in pairs because the light output and color will appear differently. Tesla probably won't do that for you so just a heads up if you go that route that the side you replaced is going to appear different than the older side.