Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlight software issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 85D. My passenger headlight would periodically go out. If I turned the lights off then back on, it would come back. The problem seemed to get worse over time, happening more frequently. I took it to Tesla and mentioned the issue 3 times and they could never replicate the issue. I even had a video of it. On the last visit they flashed the computer and it seems to have fixed the problem. Anyone else have this issue? I was really surprised a software issue would cause one light to go out.

It’s most likely a bulb going south on you. Not the glass portion of HID bulb, rather the base/ballast. If it’s deteriorating/overheating, that could cause intermittent outages. That’s why turning the lights off then back on again will temp fix things.
I had the same issue when I swapped in aftermarket D3S bulbs. Worked for a while then started getting intermittent outages. Our pre-facelift cars are just very sensitive in terms of what the car/computer expects voltage level wise for the igniter and/or ballast to fire. I swapped the stock bulbs back in and haven’t had any issues since.
Now if your issue doesn’t come back, then perhaps the reflash indeed reset something.

It’s most likely a bulb going south on you. Not the glass portion of HID bulb, rather the base/ballast. If it’s deteriorating/overheating, that could cause intermittent outages. That’s why turning the lights off then back on again will temp fix things.
I had the same issue when I swapped in aftermarket D3S bulbs. Worked for a while then started getting intermittent outages. Our pre-facelift cars are just very sensitive in terms of what the car/computer expects voltage level wise for the igniter and/or ballast to fire. I swapped the stock bulbs back in and haven’t had any issues since.
Now if your issue doesn’t come back, then perhaps the reflash indeed reset something.

Been about 5 days with no issues and NY is dark in early January (late sunrise and early sunset). I think it was software.