Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlight stuck on after update today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I updated to 2022.12.3.16 today. Afterwards my driver-side headlight is stuck ON and can't be shut off. My left turn signal doesn't "click" or show up on IC and car wont change to left lane on autopilot. Driver-side headlight also does switch from low to high-beam anymore either. I have rebooted a few times with no luck. Anyone else experiencing this? TIA

I had this happen over the winter on my 2020 Y. Turned out to be the headlight control module. $35-50 for the part on eBay, and if you’re handy, about a 1.5hr job to replace. It wasn’t after a software update, so you might get luck and it’s just a software issue.

I updated to 2022.12.3.16 today. Afterwards my driver-side headlight is stuck ON and can't be shut off. My left turn signal doesn't "click" or show up on IC and car wont change to left lane on autopilot. Driver-side headlight also does switch from low to high-beam anymore either. I have rebooted a few times with no luck. Anyone else experiencing this? TIA

Same issue today after updating
To both of you: please let us know what year and model vehicle is experiencing these problems. I'm trying to decide whether to install the update or wait for more news.

Edit: looking at older messages, I think @2BEnhanced has a 2016 MS or MX with updated MCU. @Dean Olds is a brand new member, so unknown car but likely a 2022. In a different thread, @pa290 had the charge port door malfunction after this update. That seems to be an early M3 updated to HW3.

Last edited:
To both of you: please let us know what year and model vehicle is experiencing these problems. I'm trying to decide whether to install the update or wait for more news.

Edit: looking at older messages, I think @2BEnhanced has a 2016 MS or MX with updated MCU. @Dean Olds is a brand new member, so unknown car but likely a 2022. In a different thread, @pa290 had the charge port door malfunction after this update. That seems to be an early M3 updated to HW3.
I have a 2017 p100d. Left blinker also says requires service and blinks fast. Also drl strip on driver's side not on. Have done wheel change, several reboots, and still had issue overnight. Was on advanced update before this.

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ
I have a 2017 p100d. Left blinker also says requires service and blinks fast. Also drl strip on driver's side not on. Have done wheel change, several reboots, and still had issue overnight. Was on advanced update before this.
OK, thanks for that clarification. So far it seems these glitchy behavior reports are coming from cars that are a few years old and/or have undergone some computer upgrades. This is obviously not good in terms of release and regression testing, but I'm going to assume that the update is safer on recently built HW3 cars.

I would say if this doesn't get resolved for you, then you do need to make a service appointment, for the purpose of getting your car straightened out but also to exercise Tesla's bug reporting process so they can solve this as quickly as possible.

First time Tesla owner, so I apologize for this probably stupid question. If I schedule an out of basic warranty car for this issue, so I pay for the service visit? Even if it is mostly likely a firmware issue? Others say that someone remotely was able to repush the update to the car. Do I really have to go to a service center to have that done? Seems they can do that from a call center while my car sits in the garage.
OK, thanks for that clarification. So far it seems these glitchy behavior reports are coming from cars that are a few years old and/or have undergone some computer upgrades. This is obviously not good in terms of release and regression testing, but I'm going to assume that the update is safer on recently built HW3 cars.

I would say if this doesn't get resolved for you, then you do need to make a service appointment, for the purpose of getting your car straightened out but also to exercise Tesla's bug reporting process so they can solve this as quickly as possible.

I'm having the exact same issue on my 2017 90D. Started right after the update last Friday. Tesla service scheduled for this Friday but I will have to take it in to the service center. Tesla says mobile repair can't take care of this issue.

Happening now to me. 2016.5 MS w/MCU2 upgrade. Just loaded firmware 2022.16.3
Left headlight stuck on. Image of car on drivers display shows right headlight on, left off.
Left turn signal not working. Fast flash of front blinker.
Powered off car. Waiting an hour. Power cable attached.

Happening now to me. 2016.5 MS w/MCU2 upgrade. Just loaded firmware 2022.16.3
Left headlight stuck on. Image of car on drivers display shows right headlight on, left off.
Left turn signal not working. Fast flash of front blinker.
Powered off car. Waiting an hour. Power cable attached.
I plugged in the car, powered off and left it overnight. By the morning, all appeared normal.

Same issue after onboard charger was replaced. 2016 facelift model S (Left headlight won't turn off,turn signal fault, ebrow out)

Solved: fully charged car. After fully charged went into safety and powered off car. Left car plugged in and powered off overnight. Headlight went off by morning and turn signal fault gone.

I had a similar issue. Model S 100D 2017. Nothing unusual recently, apart from a recent software update, and I had a new 12 v battery 2 weeks ago. Then one evening left front light came on and could not be turned off. Put the car on charge but within a few hours the light went off and has not come on again (that I have seen) since.

Last edited: