Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlight weirdness and opinions/advice needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
Roadster number 364 flashed me a low beam or dip light warning last week as I started it. I clicked it off without really looking at it (my bad). Since that time, my headlight behavior has changed dramatically. The headlights turn on when the ignition is turned on no matter what position the switch is in, and remain on for several minutes after I pull the key out, even after locking the car. They also turn on when the car is being charged. While driving, the highbeams are on in all dash switch positions, but the low beans are either off or at reduced wattage in the ‘off’ or ‘parking light’ position. Both beams are on in the ‘on’ position. I get a slight bump in light output when I click the stock switch to highbeam, which makes me think that the high beams are running and slightly reduced wattage at other times. I am running halogens in all four bulbs.
Any ideas from the group would be welcomed. Thanks.

That’s was quite confusing. Exactly which lights are staying on, mains/high or dipped, as they are 2 different bulbs. It sounds like the switch panel is giving the same feed as it does to the cigarette lighter.
1) Try plugging a charger that has a on light in the cigarette lighter and see if the lights go out the same time as the cigarette lighter plug turns off.
2) I assume the high beams activate with the power off, I have a Canadian car so it’s different with the DRL’s but in that case you might be powering the stalk for high beams from an auxiliary supply. I’m guessing when the aux supply turns on (like the 12v cigarette lighter) the headlights come on. If so at best it’s the stalk at worst it’s the switchpack.
I’ll have to dig out the switchpack schematic and see if there is something obvious.

Last edited:
BE3AD07D-00D1-4399-AD93-52AAEAEB732A.jpeg

Thanks for your reply. The high and low beams- all four bulbs- are on with charging, when the key is turned on with the dash light switch in any position, and with the stalk in both the low and high position. In addition all 4 stay on several minutes after the key is removed and the car is locked. Will chase thru the wiring diagrams (thanks for those) afepter Christmas.

I believe I'm having the same issue with my 413 1.5 with 3.0 upgrade.

It started with a warning about my low beams. My lights stay on all night long while charging and then turn off when charging turns off.

Did you find a solution?
Gary

Sorry for the delay, but not really a solution. What I did was install LED lights in the lows, and pulled the fuses for the highs since they were staying on all the time and my light output was adequate with the low beams only. no no more lights on all the time while charging. However, I get four warnings every time I drive the car at night. I don’t cancel them so they won’t continue to cycle every few minutes.

Lots of experience and opinions encased in this thread. You might want to check it out. A few pages earlier may give you some background but from page 22 onward there’s regular info re: switching over to LED bulbs.

• Informative
Reactions: Gabner and eHorses

Lots of experience and opinions encased in this thread. You might want to check it out. A few pages earlier may give you some background but from page 22 onward there’s regular info re: switching over to LED bulbs.
Thanks Steve!

Reactions: Steve in SLO
After reading through the headlight thread, i went with these.

These should operate great with No errors, no warnings, no nothing

H11 LED Headlight Bulb, Aukee H8 H9 110W High Power 18,000LM Extremely Bright 6000K Cool White CSP Chips Conversion Kit Adjustable Beam

9005 LED Headlight Bulbs, Aukee HB3 110W High Power 18,000LM Extremely Bright 6000K Cool White CSP Chips Conversion Kit Adjustable Beam