TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Headlights after parking

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Joetnr1, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Joetnr1

Joetnr1 Member

Took delivery on my MS yesterday and couldn't be more excited about it!

I didn't find a post on this but was curious about the option of the headlights staying on after parking. This feature is fantastic for my wife and I as our driveway can be pretty dark at night. Only problem is, they stay on for 1m 40s. Seems like a really long time for auto shut off lights. Is there a setting that I'm missing here or is this the only option for timing?

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I thought it's 2 minutes even, and no, there is no setting to change. It's either off, or on for ~2mins.

3. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

Love the feature too, very handy on dark winter evenings.

With the massive battery in the car, 2 minutes isn't a big deal IMHO, you'll come to realize that the car has so much energy storage, that you could leave the lights on for weeks without any issues if it came to that. :cool:

4. Joetnr1

Joetnr1 Member

It's less about the battery and more about leaving the lights on in the driveway for 2 minutes. I live in L.A. so our driveway sits next to the windows of our neighbors house and I just wouldn't appreciate someone's lights being on in their driveway for two minutes. No biggie though just figured I check to see if I was missing a setting there, thanks.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

If your concern is the additional energy being used by the headlights compared to say, staying on for just 30 seconds, I can assure you that the energy use is inconsequential.
    Or do you have some other reason for wanting the headlights to shut off earlier?
    ---UPDATE--
    Sorry, just saw your post made a minute before mine. Now I understand [emoji846]

6. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

If you click lock on the keyfob, it'll turn the headlights off. But then you gotta find the keyfob, and single click the roof each time you get home.

7. Joetnr1

Joetnr1 Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like the neighbors will just have to deal for a couple minutes. Oh well! ;-)

8. int32_t

int32_t Tesla Spotter

It would be so cool just to have a neighbour with a Model S that I think I could forgive them for leaving their lights on for two minutes! :rolleyes:

9. Soolim

Soolim Member

Have you ever consider motion sensor lights for your driveway?