Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights Always On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Recently got a Model 3 and was wondering why the main headlights are always on during the day. The headlight settings are on Auto. I recently went on a road trip to the states and seen all the Model 3s with just the eyebrow part lit up in the day time and at night the full headlights come on. How do I get the settings to just have the eyebrow light on during the day?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    651.6 KB · Views: 370
Hello all,

Recently got a Model 3 and was wondering why the main headlights are always on during the day. The headlight settings are on Auto. I recently went on a road trip to the states and seen all the Model 3s with just the eyebrow part lit up in the day time and at night the full headlights come on. How do I get the settings to just have the eyebrow light on during the day?

The DRL on Model 3 in Canada use the upper halo, eyebrow signature strip and headlights. Possible that the halo plus signature strip alone wasnt bright enough to certify as DRL's.

I've wondered the same thing so what I did was toggle the headlights on and off in an underground parking lot to see if there was a difference. When toggled on, the green headlight indicator comes on and the headlights are at full brightness, when toggled off, the green headlight indicator is gone but headlights (same leds) appear to darken about 5% subjectively speaking. So DRL maintains headlight leds on but just at an incrementally lower amount. The difference in brightness is barely noticeable.

Why would you want to turn them off anyway? Nothing beats visibility. I see a tot of cars in Toronto with dimmed headlights and no tail lights!
Turn your DAMN lights on!

Signaled to a white SUV from Kingston to Bellville last night to turn on their lights. Person was oblivious that they're driving in the dark with only DRLs. Night time lights should be automatic and timer based. No reason to not have them on unless you're up to no good =P

They did one thing right, bought a white car instead of black for their style of night driving.

I’m having the same issue with my 2018 MS.
The full lights seem to come on at all times now even during a sunny day. Used to be only the outer strip lights.

I’ve tried turning them to ‘off’ when in Drive however no difference...they remain 100% ON regardless of auto, off or ON.

Could be a glitch after latest update?

Signaled to a white SUV from Kingston to Bellville last night to turn on their lights. Person was oblivious that they're driving in the dark with only DRLs. Night time lights should be automatic and timer based. No reason to not have them on unless you're up to no good =P

They did one thing right, bought a white car instead of black for their style of night driving.

How did you signal the SUV driver to turn on their main lights? I am so frustrated with the many vehicles ( Hondas, Toyotas & Chryslers mainly ) with totally dark rear lights & who seem oblivious to the fact. Flashing my lights seems to have a variable effect. Is there a "universal" signal or can we create one? Apparently the 2021 vehicles will have mandated all time rear lights??

How did you signal the SUV driver to turn on their main lights? I am so frustrated with the many vehicles ( Hondas, Toyotas & Chryslers mainly ) with totally dark rear lights & who seem oblivious to the fact. Flashing my lights seems to have a variable effect. Is there a "universal" signal or can we create one? Apparently the 2021 vehicles will have mandated all time rear lights??

I usually flash them and then pass them and drive infront of them for 10 seconds. Flash my emergencies and hope they get the fact they have no lights on.

Reactions: corlaandstan
Why would you want to turn them off anyway? Nothing beats visibility. I see a tot of cars in Toronto with dimmed headlights and no tail lights!
Turn your DAMN lights on!
This is a phenomenon that baffles me. How do people not learn how to turn on their headlights? It's two notches on the headlights, not one.

On the other hand why on Earth do we still have a "parking light" setting? There hasn't been a need for parking lights in decades, and there hasn't been actual parking lights on cars in decades.

Reactions: corlaandstan