Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights defaulting to auto high beam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since I updated to 2022.28.1, the car always defaults to auto high beam. I turn it off, and then when I leave the car and come back in, the auto high beam turns back on. Is anyone else experiencing this? This is on a 2022 MYP.

That's why some would refuse to do the update.

Welcome to the new update. The rationale is because Tesla is using vision with no other fall back sensor like radar, it needs to take control of the vision-related task such as your headlights, and it does not trust humans' judgment to decide for themselves.

For me, it’s when I start the car so NOT on FSD or AP. I don’t know if it’s a bug. It’s just annoying having to turn off auto high beams every time I start the car.
do you have headlights always turned on, even during daylight?
and i definitely like the auto high beams, even if they do get confused when there is a bright reflection or a bright driveway reflector. the car is far better at dimming than i am.

john r

Reactions: DanDi58
For me, it’s when I start the car so NOT on FSD or AP. I don’t know if it’s a bug. It’s just annoying having to turn off auto high beams every time I start the car.
It’s not a bug. Sometimes after an update, a feature that was previously turned off in the settings gets magically turned on by default. Or vise-versa. Just turn it off in your setting under Lights and it will only turn auto high beams on for AP/FSD.

I observed the same behaviour. My car is a vision-only car to begin with and this is the first time I have the high-beam forced on. It only starts with 2022.28.

I believe it is a bug, because the high beam is not forced on if I turn it off by pushing the left stalk forward, and leave the car, let it lock, and come back into the bar. However, if the car sits there long enough to enter a deep sleep, it will revert to high beam on the next time I wake it up.

Reactions: RNHurt
It's definitely a bug.
When I disable auto high beam by pushing the left stalk forward, it's going back on again after like 10 min. No matter day or night time. The system just activates it back again for some reason.

The lighting part of this SW version is very buggy. In addition to the high beam behaviour, I also frequently see the brake light visualization on the screen stops working. The car display would no longer show the brake light being illuminated while the real brake light is actually lit up. Sometimes if the car goes to sleep for some time this would be fixed by itself.