Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights defaulting to auto high beam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another bug I have from about the same time... I can no longer view my calendar in the car. The app has all the permissions, yet the calendar doesn't display. I even removed the phone from the car and re-added it. No change. I have a Google Pixel 6 Pro. It says I need to add permission in the app. The Tesla app has all the permissions.

Another bug I have from about the same time... I can no longer view my calendar in the car. The app has all the permissions, yet the calendar doesn't display. I even removed the phone from the car and re-added it. No change. I have a Google Pixel 6 Pro. It says I need to add permission in the app. The Tesla app has all the permissions.
Did you set the calendar permission inside of the Tesla app as well? It's under your Profile picture and then Settings.

Reactions: towndrunk
Just to definitively highlight the bug for others who aren’t experiencing it.

Notice how it has “auto high beams” selected, even before the gear selector panel is displayed?

This means that when the headlights automatically turn on at dusk, they’ll immediately start trying to enable high beams when safe to do so.

I'm experiencing the same "auto high beams" bug in my 2020 MY. After 2022.28.2 I noticed that whenever I drive at night the auto high beams are turned on. I don't have FSD and am driving back roads in my neighborhood so AP is not enabled either. I have definitely have not purposefully enabled it either.

I thought it was just me, but I'm glad there are other people experiencing the same thing. Well, not glad, but happy that I'm not going mad. 😁

I'm on 2022.40.4 and it's still there. I've had to disable auto-high beam from the lights menu, which means I can't use auto-high beams without toggling it in the menu. It's frustrating. How does this benefit me, the consumer?

I feel Tesla is trying to force it's half-baked software on everyone now. Remove radar, remove USS, force auto-high beam. They are all software based and lack functionality over their tried and true hardware counterparts. They've chose to pinch pennies at the cost of a great customer experience. Each change makes me less likely to consider a Tesla in the future.

This morning on the way to work in the dark, I noticed that my "auto high beams" were on, and the high beams kept flashing on/off. When I got to a traffic light, I noticed that the highs were coming on and off, flashing over and over even with several cars coming in the opposite direction. People around me were like "WTF is wrong with this guy?". I quickly turned auto high beams off and the flashing stopped. Must be some sort of bug, but definitely annoying.

On 2022.40.4 -- I noticed last night on a 100 mile trip in the dark that what ever they did with this last update, my auto high beams are nearly PERFECT. It did a better job than I could have done myself. I'm very pleased with the major improvement!
That is excellent news! I typically never used them because they sucked. I will certainly re-evaluate my opinion now.

Not sure if anyone else has suggested it, I agree the auto high beams are really bad, but while they are tweaking it to make it better (hopefully), I think it would be less intrusive to other drivers if they faded on and off. Even a 1 second fade would be a huge difference. My concern also is other drivers thinking I'm signaling them or being aggressive, leading to other issues. Not sure where to suggest this officially.

Reactions: Bikeman
It’s definitely intentional. Welcome to the world of Tesla Vision.
HW 2.5 vehicles do not have Vision and yet the auto high beam feature is worse than it was a year ago. Previously, auto high beams would only enable when I manually switched high beams on. Now, the only way to have auto high beams is to enable it in settings which causes the high beams to enable at the start of every drive and the driver has to disable it manually.

The auto hi-beam really sucks in urban driving. My neighborhood has a lot of twisty roads, so you don't see oncoming cars until they're nearly in front of you. So the whole time my Y is flashing its beams on/off/on/off as the cars approach. Sure, on a long road trip great, but in city driving its annoying.

Reactions: bob00
The auto hi-beam really sucks in urban driving. My neighborhood has a lot of twisty roads, so you don't see oncoming cars until they're nearly in front of you. So the whole time my Y is flashing its beams on/off/on/off as the cars approach. Sure, on a long road trip great, but in city driving its annoying.
I sincerely think that there is a bigger issue with the auto high beams. I think some cars have really bad AHB and others don’t. I say this because I too used to think that the AHB in my ‘21 MY were really bad, and then a couple updates ago they completely changed: now I think that they work flawlessly. In twisty canyons or urban settings they adapt and behave about as good as my Audi. I honestly think that there is a software bug or something that continues to affect about half of the Tesla’s. I’ve often been amazed at how my AHB has turned down for something that I didn’t realize before the system did. This wasn’t the case for the first 18 months I had my car. I think the software for some people hasn’t been “fixed” where it has for others.

The real problem with Tesla's auto high beam is that it shouldn't be forced to stand by whenever the car is turned on.

For every single car (other than Tesla) I've ever seen, there are two separate switches:
  1. Whether the user wants high beam or not (usually controlled by pushing forward the light stalk)
  2. Whether the car should automatically turn high beam off when it sees oncoming traffic (i.e. auto high beam, usually controlled by a dedicated menu or physical switch)
The problem with Tesla is that someone gets the two switches mixed up (partially): The car will use the state of 2 to override 1 when it wakes up. While the car is running, the two switches will still function as two separate ones.

Reactions: apacheguy