Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights (getting flashed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, for the past year or so, i have had to do very little driving at night. But before covid, I drove early and late quite a lot. Never had any issues with headlights and never got flashed. Now, I am getting flashed by also every car, I figured out it was my headlights had become completely unaligned.

Anybody else had this?

Mine have been mostly ok but there was one time they went skyspotting and I was getting flashed at.
My nearest stop was Fleet Services South on the M3 so called in and used the covered Tesla tombstone chargers as a light target.
When you start the light adjustment process it resets itself to something reasonable and you can tweak them individually from there.
Make sure you're in Park - they won't adjust in Drive.

For a car so packed with tech, I'm a bit surprised they headlights aren't auto-levelling like other cars in the same bracket.

Then again, I imagine Tesla would want to do it with the camera and a stack of AI instead of whatever £10 sensor everyone else uses. <shrug>

Reactions: Wol747
Picked my MiC M3 LR up in May so it is only recently that I've done any night driving. The headlights were not properly aligned, but adjusting them was easy. After that I've been impressed: they are excellent, if a bit different. Dip beam is as good as any other modern car with LEDs although the beam pattern is unusual, square blocks of light. The automatic transition from Main to dip works quickly and accurately: no one has flashed me.
I think, but cannot be certain, that the car will keep main on the N/S and dip on the O/S in some situations.
On the main beam the light is clearly in horizontal layers, with noticeable bands between the layers. Overall excellent illumination.

For a car so packed with tech, I'm a bit surprised they headlights aren't auto-levelling like other cars in the same bracket.

Then again, I imagine Tesla would want to do it with the camera and a stack of AI instead of whatever £10 sensor everyone else uses. <shrug>
Don't get auto leveling mixed up with Teslas Service button. Read the manual. It says..Warning - Touching the button can throw your lights out of adjustment with no way to get back! Auto leveling is from a fixed position (set with adjustment screws) the headlights only adjust downwards from this position!
IMG_20211102_190109.jpg

Reactions: M3noob
'Tesla has carefully calibrated the headlights'.

Pure comedy right there..

Yep, totally agree!

Like others on here, as soon as it started to get dark when I was driving I was being flashed.

Went into the adjustment menu, and purely doing that... the lights went up and down, and settled on a more sensible level. Didn't actually do any adjustment, and not been flashed since.