Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights glowing when turned off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BozieBeMe2

May I have this dance?
Apr 7, 2015
Indy, Indiana, USA
I have the 2020 MS100D LR+, with the LED headlights.
When the headlights are turned off, the outer edge on both of the headlights are glowing with a faint luminescence.
It doesn't matter how long since the lights were last turned on
The lights have glowed like this since the day it was delivered, 3/14/20
What with the Covid pandemic, I don't want to take the car in for this issue
Re setting both of the screens, while holding the brake pedal has not cure it
The car was delivered with firmware:
Firmware: 2020.8.1 (ae1963092ff8)
N/A Maps: 2019.20.10487
Then was updated on 3/28/20, to:
2020.8.2 (dc9bc402da23)

((Reminds me of using LED light bulbs on a circuit with a dimmer))

Attachments

• Glowing headlights.jpg
    Glowing headlights.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 124
LEDs are super efficient with how much energy they use to illuminate. This can also be a negative in that even when they're turned off the slightest amount of energy seepage can cause them to illuminate slightly. So even though the circuit is turned off there's still the faintest amount of energy present is what you're seeing. The previous version HID headlight housing used several LEDs which did a better job of turning completely off whenever the power was off & the circuit was closed. The newer housing has an LED headlight and rather than multiple LEDs for the daytime running light it now uses less LEDs to create a light bar effect which explains why they glow faintly even though they're off visible only when it's dark.

LEDs are super efficient with how much energy they use to illuminate. This can also be a negative in that even when they're turned off the slightest amount of energy seepage can cause them to illuminate slightly. So even though the circuit is turned off there's still the faintest amount of energy present is what you're seeing. The previous version HID headlight housing used several LEDs which did a better job of turning completely off whenever the power was off & the circuit was closed. The newer housing has an LED headlight and rather than multiple LEDs for the daytime running light it now uses less LEDs to create a light bar effect which explains why they glow faintly even though they're off visible only when it's dark.
So, should I be concerned?

I have the 2020 MS100D LR+, with the LED headlights.
When the headlights are turned off, the outer edge on both of the headlights are glowing with a faint luminescence.
It doesn't matter how long since the lights were last turned on
The lights have glowed like this since the day it was delivered, 3/14/20
What with the Covid pandemic, I don't want to take the car in for this issue
Re setting both of the screens, while holding the brake pedal has not cure it
The car was delivered with firmware:
Firmware: 2020.8.1 (ae1963092ff8)
N/A Maps: 2019.20.10487
Then was updated on 3/28/20, to:
2020.8.2 (dc9bc402da23)

((Reminds me of using LED light bulbs on a circuit with a dimmer))

My 2016 has done it since new...given the amount of other failures of parts of the car i havent really worried about it

Reactions: BozieBeMe2