Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights in auto mode bug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you experienced the headlights in auto mode doesn't turn itself off after the car emerges from shaded places?

Here's what I've noticed:

1. Start the car in the garage, headlights are on, drive it out of the garage, headlights immediately turns off.
2. 5 minutes later, I stopped under an overpass waiting to get on the freeway, headlights turned on.
3. Headlights remained on for the next 20 minutes while on the freeway.

It was after 8:15am, so there are plenty of sunlight and therefore the headlights should have been off.

Sometimes I also notice the headlights turns on at 4:30pm, this is in AZ where currently sunset is around 6:30pm.

Have you experienced the headlights in auto mode doesn't turn itself off after the car emerges from shaded places?

Here's what I've noticed:

1. Start the car in the garage, headlights are on, drive it out of the garage, headlights immediately turns off.
2. 5 minutes later, I stopped under an overpass waiting to get on the freeway, headlights turned on.
3. Headlights remained on for the next 20 minutes while on the freeway.

It was after 8:15am, so there are plenty of sunlight and therefore the headlights should have been off.

Sometimes I also notice the headlights turns on at 4:30pm, this is in AZ where currently sunset is around 6:30pm.

Sounds like a sensor problem. My headlights turn off from my garage before I get the the end of my driveway everytime.

Based on its behavior, the sensor seems to be recessed slightly into a cavity by design, so that when the sun is low, the headlights stay on even though there's enough ambient light outside to see.

This is a good design, as it keeps your headlights on to make your car more visible when an oncoming driver may have the sun in their eyes.

Not saying that's what's happening in your case--just thought I'd mention it.