Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights in France

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm travelling to France from England soon. In older cars there was a kit you could get on the headlights to set them up for France driving. My Mercedes just had a simple setting on the dash menu that set everything up correctly for Europe continent driving.
Anybody know how the Tesla M3P handles it? Does it just figure out from GPS?
Thanks
Richard

I drove my Model 3 to France over Xmas. The LED lights apparently need zero adjustment (or those annoying headlight beam adaptors) as they have a “flatter” profile that doesn’t dazzle oncoming drivers or attract the attention of the gendarmes. I did nothing to my headlights and had no issues. I think you’ll be fine.

I drove my Model 3 to France over Xmas. The LED lights apparently need zero adjustment (or those annoying headlight beam adaptors) as they have a “flatter” profile that doesn’t dazzle oncoming drivers or attract the attention of the gendarmes. I did nothing to my headlights and had no issues. I think you’ll be fine.
From everything I’ve read you are correct the beam pattern appears to be symmetrical so should not trouble anyone regardless of which side of the road they drive

I too had heard that the dipped beam was symmetrical. However I have to say that I have just driven in the dark for the first time in France with my Model 3 and I have had two people flash me (still a minority at least, although one of them was clearly very cross). Looking at the pattern there does seem to be a slight tilt towards the left. I am worried not just for safety but because I am trying to register the car in France and I know that for other cars this can mean fitting new headlights.

I too had heard that the dipped beam was symmetrical. However I have to say that I have just driven in the dark for the first time in France with my Model 3 and I have had two people flash me (still a minority at least, although one of them was clearly very cross). Looking at the pattern there does seem to be a slight tilt towards the left. I am worried not just for safety but because I am trying to register the car in France and I know that for other cars this can mean fitting new headlights.

You can adjust the headlights in the service menu

The manual says headlights do not require adjusting to cross LHD vs RHD regions.

But you can manually adjust them as you see fit
Thanks, I found the reference.

Just to make things more complicated however it says (my emphasis):

"Headlights do not require adjustments when temporarily driving into a region where the traffic direction is different (for example, driving in right-hand traffic region, and then driving into a region with left-hand traffic)."​

What the hell is that supposed to mean? o_O

Thanks, I found the reference.

Just to make things more complicated however it says (my emphasis):

"Headlights do not require adjustments when temporarily driving into a region where the traffic direction is different (for example, driving in right-hand traffic region, and then driving into a region with left-hand traffic)."​

What the hell is that supposed to mean? o_O
Did anyone ever figure this out? I don’t get it either.
I spoke to a Tesla technician and he said the head lights were global and didn’t need altering but it kind of felt like the above statement.