Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights in HID-LED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shrink, can you pm me the email of the author? I'm having a set of standard headlights converted to HID and curious what "refurbished" means. Is this a 3rd party company that retrofits new ballasts, bulbs, and projectors or does it mean Tesla has a bunch of old / 2nd quality HID kits that they're selling at a discount. Thanks!

As for exasperating the clear lens from the body, be very very careful. I couldn't do it myself, the company who're working on my HID conversion didn't know if they could separate it either but they did succeed.

The price to have my headlights converted to HID was estimated to be $550, will have to see the real cost once they're finished with the prototype and have it fully completed. The LEDs look really wild in the night pic from the conversion above!

I just received a pic of my headlights being retro-fitted with the new HID projector, its estimated that it'll be ready next week then shipped which may take up to another week. The whole process took over a year since they had to prototype new mounts to fit the new projector. Below's the pic.

The guys I'm using retrofit all types of headlights, they're located on the east coast. I'm sure they'll sell just the kit once they've completed mine or you can send out your lights and have them retrofitted. And no they won't take over a year to get them back :)

Also I **HIGHLY** recommend putting paint armor over top of your clear headlight lenses/assemblies. This should stop that dreaded UV coating from peeling! Since you're investing in this upgrade, you'll really want the lights to physically look good and last for a long time. From what I heard from Tesla, they haven't had any of the Tesla HIDs peel.

photo.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

How do we remove the headlight assembly? I would like to do this mod as I have most of the materials already.

This link should help you out. Its not the full removal but you can see what's involved:
Xenon HID upgrade - Page 19

Last edited:
My mod is coming along. I am not doing the work BTW. The talented man on website is. He says it's a lot of work and he's a pretty busy guy. Good thing I am in no hurry.

This is one option he's done on a set that is currently in progress. The inner bank is orange/amber for the turn signal. What do you guys think? Would you go with the interior turn signal or white all around? I keep going back and forth.

RoadsterLEDMod.jpe

I'm not sure about the amber. I was thinking constant white, flash amber on the whole strip. On the other hand, sometimes I wish I had those multicolor programmable LEDS. I need to have the flashing blue and red when I get stuck behind someone camping out in the left lane. :wink: