TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Headlights make noise?? Coolant loop for the LEDs?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ratsbew, Jul 18, 2018.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

I was messing around with the headlights in my garage today. I turned them on manually and noticed a distinct and obvious noise when I turned them on. The noise quit immediately when I turned the lights off.

All I can figure is that there is a glycol coolant loop that keeps the LED chips cool and the noise is a small circulating pump. Does that sound right? This car is full of surprises!

• Informative x 1
  2. Robert831

Robert831 Member

This made me think of the old joke about blinker fluid. It's possible you're hearing a DC power converter. They can make little squealing noises. I don't have my M3 yet so I can't confirm. (Yes, I called it M3 because this is not a BMW forum.)

3. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

The aftermarket LED lights I have on my ICE, have fans in the back to cool the heatsinks.

4. eli_

eli_ Member

Could be coil whine from PWM on the power to the LEDs.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I think we’ve seen removed headlight assemblies on various videos (like Rich Rebuilds and others) and not a mention of coolant. For those that can hear it, probably transformers, and the like.

6. fr100

fr100 Member

Lights that need liquid cooling would be terrible design. I'm going to go with coil whine.

7. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

I listened more carefully and it sounds like fans (more than one). No idea if they are fans directly behind each light or if it is for a DC converter as some have mentioned.

• Informative x 2