Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights not flush?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gwgan

Almost a wagon
Aug 11, 2013
Maine
Only Model 3 I have seen is my own. The bottom edge of the headlights is proud of the bumper. Is this typical? intentional? aerodynamic?
EA2C0696-E8C1-4F44-8E22-38BB744EF8A6.jpeg A49F1CEC-EBFB-4186-A283-4A404B94A990.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: fr100
Maybe not intentional, but most I have seen are like that. Probably could be improved a little as it looks like the bumper is little inset compared to the fender on the left side of the first picture. I guess you could see what the service center says, but not sure I would bother. I'm OCD with the best of them and this doesn't really bother me.

Car is at SC (for a couple very minor injuries, maybe one minor production issue-TBD) and they report this proud lower headlight edge is normal. My guess is aerodynamics and to keep headlight clear by diverting water while at speed.

I checked several M3s when I was at the Raleigh SC last month. The headlights were all protruding (different amounts) and one car was flush. I chocked it up to Tesla being Tesla. Consider it a feature instead of a flaw and all will be well. Good to hear that there is a procedure now to correct it.

It's a bit hard to tell from the images, how much that gap is. Along the bottom edge of my sealed lights ENCLOSURE the bottom edge is about 1-2 quarters of distance above the edge of the body. I don't see this as an issue. It might cause some slight turbulence and therefore noise at speed, but I don't think it would be totally flush by design.

From what I was told at my SC was that they had been notified on how this was to be corrected... It has to do with some alignment of the front bumper.... When the issue was fixed, I was worried that there would be gap issues with the front bumper, but I don't see anything that stands out and the headlights are about 99% flush with the hood and the bumper...

• Informative
Reactions: TheLocNar
From what I was told at my SC was that they had been notified on how this was to be corrected... It has to do with some alignment of the front bumper.... When the issue was fixed, I was worried that there would be gap issues with the front bumper, but I don't see anything that stands out and the headlights are about 99% flush with the hood and the bumper...

I bet they pushed forward the metal bracket under the healight out more so it would clip in further out, thus only affecting the area under the healight and leaving the rest of the body lines intact. I might try and take a shot at it when i get my car back.