Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights on always after 24.6.1 software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mike_TV

Apr 29, 2020
Chicagoland
After updating to 24.6.1 software update yesterday I noticed the headlights are coming on when you put the car in drive and during the day.

If you switch the Exterior Lights to "Off" they'll turn off and each time you come back to the car, unlock it and put it in "Drive" the headlights come on and the Exterior Lights are set to "Auto" again.

Headlights worked fine before the software update.

Anyone else seeing this?

It's annoying to have the headlights come on during the day and have to manually turn them off each drive only to revert back to "Auto" and headlights on at the next drive.

It's annoying to have the headlights come on during the day and have to manually turn them off each drive only to revert back to "Auto" and headlights on at the next drive.
Hmmmm, that is actually something I would like, so what might be annoying to someone, might be helpful to someone else. Frankly, I would like to have an extra button in the settings for "Always on when starting." Some people will be puzzled why I would like this, but there are situations where I want it.
So bottom line, I wonder if that is a fluke that was not intended, or something new.

Did more testing this past weekend and it appears to be working normally. With the "Auto" setting the headlights come on in a dark garage but when you go out into the daylight and about a minute later they turn off, the icon disappears and the DRLs come on without any icon.

I'm guessing I was too quick to let them adjust to the daylight.

• Funny
Reactions: empiredown
Mine seem to stay on way too often, I only have version 20 of the software the night I took delivery, but they weren't on when not needed. Today I noticed they took a long time to turn off after I exited my garage, and were on again in the parking lot of the grocery store when I left. So a bug that needs to be reported

Hmmmm, that is actually something I would like, so what might be annoying to someone, might be helpful to someone else. Frankly, I would like to have an extra button in the settings for "Always on when starting." Some people will be puzzled why I would like this, but there are situations where I want it.
So bottom line, I wonder if that is a fluke that was not intended, or something new.

Agree with Silicon Desert. I think there's good evidence that daytime headlights are a safety advantage. Lots of new cars include that feature. When I manually put my Model Y headlights to "ON" and go into PARK, I get a warning about battery depletion. Which is odd since the lights turn off after the usual interval from leaving the vehicle. And the car reverts to AUTO for the next trip. There are plenty of conditions in which headlights are warranted in which the AUTO feature isn't activating them.
If the battery depletion warning is bogus, I want to keep headlights on always.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert