Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights on during day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed today after a few days of ownership that my headlights come on during the day in bright sunlight
They are set on Auto, is there a sensitivity problem with the system
They worked ok for first couple of days

They are very sensitive and do come on when wipers on, but full sun doesn't sound right if no shadows.

Some camera related auto features not working are symptomatic of some other features not working. Does things like AP work as expected and car visualisations?

They are very sensitive and do come on when wipers on, but full sun doesn't sound right if no shadows.

Some camera related auto features not working are symptomatic of some other features not working. Does things like AP work as expected and car visualisations?
AP and visualisations are working fine
I didn't know the lights come on if the wipers are working though
Did complete an update a couple of days ago if that could change anything
Will keep my eye on it and see if there are any specific conditions that cause it

AP and visualisations are working fine
I didn't know the lights come on if the wipers are working though
Did complete an update a couple of days ago if that could change anything
Will keep my eye on it and see if there are any specific conditions that cause it
My BMW B5 used to do that, I think it was deliberate as they only did it if the sun was particularly bright, but then I did not have to think about battery use back then, just had to fill it up regularly with fossilised dinosaurs and watch the needle go down if I went fast :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: JupiterMan
My BMW B5 used to do that, I think it was deliberate as they only did it if the sun was particularly bright, but then I did not have to think about battery use back then, just had to fill it up regularly with fossilised dinosaurs and watch the needle go down if I went fast :rolleyes:

Fortunately using headlights is something which seems to have little effect on battery usage ... these new fangled efficient LEDs I suppose.

Passed a car at night on motorway the other day with no tail lights on. Front lights were bright, so I assume that the cars daylight-running-lights fooled driver into thinking their lights were on. It was a large, modern,c ar so surprising it didn't automatically put the lights (rears) on at night ...

Just bring this topic back up.
The weather is really sunny, and not a cloud in the sky. But on automatic, my headlights are still on. I cant see any reason why? (i will add my wifes Leaf seems to be doing this as well). Both cars are on the drive. I see zero reason why they should be one. Its just a waste of battery (thus range).
Anybody else still getting this issue?

Just bring this topic back up.
The weather is really sunny, and not a cloud in the sky. But on automatic, my headlights are still on. I cant see any reason why? (i will add my wifes Leaf seems to be doing this as well). Both cars are on the drive. I see zero reason why they should be one. Its just a waste of battery (thus range).
Anybody else still getting this issue?
It's a negligible use of battery so wouldn't worry about that!

It is probably intentional. Think California freeway with heat shimmer on the black top. You might not see the car coming the other way without their headlights on!
Yeah it might be a product of it’s “upbringing”. As another poster has said some states (I know Florida for certain) Mandate that headlights must be on when it’s raining which is why they come on in a Tesla. Could be the same, especially in the south west of the country, for heat shimmer and the like.

My 2019 Raven MX headlights are pretty sensitive. Driving in bright sunshine they come on as soon as I enter any shaded areas (eg trees on either side of the road) but then go off again when I hit the sunshine again. Heaven knows what other drivers think!

Passed a car at night on motorway the other day with no tail lights on. Front lights were bright, so I assume that the cars daylight-running-lights fooled driver into thinking their lights were on. It was a large, modern,c ar so surprising it didn't automatically put the lights (rears) on at night ...
I see this all the times and is my pet peeve. Thing is you can’t flash them as by time you notice they’re behind you