Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights swapped!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the topic of HID...

I have original circa mid-2014 HIDs in my S and about 150,000km on the clock. Headlights on probably 50% with my driving mix and latitude for daylight hours.

These were the best by far headlights I'd ever got on a new car, back then.

I am envious of the super bright whiteness of my wife's model 3 headlights and what they do for short range is noticeably better than my HIDs. I can't unsee them. They make my HIDs look yellow and dim. Which got me thinking... is there a lifespan of HID bulbs that I should consider to replace them?

I notice when they first come on, when they strike up an arc there is a very bright flash like a flash bulb, then they settle down. Over time, do they settle down further and further and in slow decay... so as you might not notice them fading over time?

New bulbs? Stock.. ?

Different bulbs? Higher brightness option?

New HID controller? Higher power option?

Anybody hack add-on LEDs somewhere on the front of the car.. best of both worlds (?)

Thanks for any ideas of actual light output mods for model S you may have encountered.. I'm pretty happy with the look of the headlight housings themselves.

Yes they will fade over time/usage. Here's a great company for upgrades/replacement HID components:
The Retrofit Source | The Best HID & LED Projector Headlight Upgrades

Since that post, I have upgraded my bulbs (before they burnt out) ... and whoa! ya! new bulbs make a difference. \

I bought a top name brand brightest bulb they make, keeping the original color and am super pleased with the result.

I'd say, every 4 to 5 years do this job as maintenance. We're in the dark for so much of the year, at my latitude, that headlights get used a lot for a long winter season. Got lots of wildlife popping out onto the road too.. ever seen a moose?! If new bulbs let me see something 1 second sooner, they're worth it.

• Informative
Reactions: ICUDoc
You can always do it yourself, it's fairly easy.

You can also message my friend greg is you want to send it to someone and not deal with it.
IG: @grc_lights
GRC Lights

www.grclights.com
Dammit I would have jumped all over this.... if I didn’t have so much already invested, I would jump ship... but something tells me getting a refund, and the unfinished lights may be more difficult than just waiting for him to get enough to finally do the work :(