Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights switching from "on" back to "auto"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Tesla family! Newbie back with another question about my 2023 3 Performance. I set my headlights manually on during that in between time of day when auto keeps switching on and off. I have noticed that even when I start out of the driveway in "on" mode, they will sometimes still turn off (or back to auto) during my drive. Anyone know why, and how to prevent this? I don't notice right away because that little indicator is the only way I know they're on or off. It does drive my OCD mind nuts, lol.

Also, what is the easiest way to switch them from off to on when there's no indicator to click on, other than going through the menu? Thanks! 🙂

Headlights reset to Auto at the beginning of each drive, but as far as I know they shouldn’t reset to Auto during your drive. Auto High Beams, on the other hand, are automatically enabled when you use Autopilot. You can use voice commands to change your headlight setting.

Reactions: Grabthar
I tried voice commands and it just says that command is "coming soon". What are the magic words??
I haven't tried it, but interesting to hear that it isn't already implemented. I found a support article that lists categories of voice commands, and controlling the lights isn't mentioned: Voice Commands | Tesla Support. I guess you'll have to use the touchscreen, but I'm still puzzled why the lights are changing to auto while you're driving.

Hey Tesla family! Newbie back with another question about my 2023 3 Performance. I set my headlights manually on during that in between time of day when auto keeps switching on and off. I have noticed that even when I start out of the driveway in "on" mode, they will sometimes still turn off (or back to auto) during my drive. Anyone know why, and how to prevent this? I don't notice right away because that little indicator is the only way I know they're on or off. It does drive my OCD mind nuts, lol.

Also, what is the easiest way to switch them from off to on when there's no indicator to click on, other than going through the menu? Thanks! 🙂
I solved this problem with S3XY Buttons. Not cheap, but you can get 4 buttons and the controller for less than $200 when they're on sale. I use one button to toggle the headlights on and off. I can see the headlight indicator on the touchscreen and on the S3XY Button dashboard. Better still, if I turn the headlights on this way, they turn off automatically when I park the car so I don't get that horribly annoying reminder to turn off the headlights. I just got back from an hour's drive where I tested this.**

I have it programmed so a long press on that same button toggles all the interior lights on and off. I have another button for toggling Chill/Sport acceleration and to disable/enable regen. A third button opens the glove box and opens the passenger door.

But wait! There's more. I have my driver's door handle programmed to open the frunk if the handle is held open for 2 seconds (the time is programmable). I also have it set so the car will automatically switch from Chill to Sport when I floor the accelerator. There is a bit of lag, like with a turbo but still very cool if, like me, you want to use Chill for daily driving but still want Sport available for "emergencies".

**BTW: FSD beta worked really well on a narrow, unmarked, winding mountain road where auto-pilot was nearly useless last year. New Mexico State Road 15 from Silver City to Gila Hot Springs.

Reactions: Chris89topher