Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights too bright?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, forgive me if this has already been discussed. I searched the forum and could not find this topic. I was wondering if any other Model 3 owners experience other drivers flashing their high beams at you as if they are trying to get you to turn off your high beams. This happens to me every once in a while even though my high beams are off. I read that some earlier Model 3s had an issue with the head lights shining into on coming traffic but if this is the case, can they be adjusted by a service shop? I have a 2018 Model 3. Thanks

I never thought to read the manual about this issue since every car I have ever owned highly recommended you have the headlights adjusted by a service technician. But thanks for being such a big help!
You can schedule an appointment via the app if you prefer not to do it yourself. However, even when correctly leveled, LED headlights produce a good amount of glare for oncoming drivers, so you'll likely see people flash at you every now and then either way.

Mine were way to high too. I was brightly lighting up every road sign I drove past, even those on the overpasses, it was almost like my brights were on. So here's what I did (yes, I could have gone to a SC). I measured on the back of the garage where my wife's cars lights hit, moved it out, and then I pulled the Tesla partially into the garage (driveway is a slight incline from the street, so as I pull the car in it's at varying degrees) I hit the auto adjust and pull in more and hit auto adjust again until the lights match the spot of the back of the garage where my wife's cars lights hit. No problems blinding other drivers since then and It still lighting up the roadways as it should.

2020 Tesla Model 3 4-door sedan

"Low beams
On the straightaway, visibility was good on both sides of the road. On curves, visibility was good on the sharp right curve, fair on the gradual right and sharp left curves, and inadequate on the gradual left curve.

The low beams never exceeded glare limits."

If you actually suspect an issue with your headlights, talk to a service center, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. There are so many lifted trucks that don't give an F about how their lights are adjusted that a sedan which was evaluated to be within limits shouldn't be a worry for anyone. Plus who know's if those cars flashing you are slammed cars. I always wonder what it does when people lower their cars two or three inches to look cool, might be enough to cause problems like this then.

Reactions: Callawayc7
I find that any vehicle with LED headlights appears too bright for my eyes. I don't think it's that they aren't adjusted correctly, it's as others have said, these cool white lights produce a lot of glare.

No they dont. Glare is caused from improperly aimed lights, or shining off a reflective surface such as wet roads. The color temperature has ZERO bearing on glare. The cutoff on the model 3 is just like any other cars with hid or led lights. They are not excessively bright and their color temp is the same as other led lights.

I have never heard of headlights needing to be adjusted by a technician. Ive always done my own on halogen, hid, and even led.

Maybe if you have a large enough flat area with a wall and want to measure and mark out the wall for where the cut off should be etc etc etc.

You can NOT eyeball it. There are specs with how high it should be for the driver side and passenger side and stuff.

Maybe if you have a large enough flat area with a wall and want to measure and mark out the wall for where the cut off should be etc etc etc.

You can NOT eyeball it. There are specs with how high it should be for the driver side and passenger side and stuff.

Back in the day I used to retrofit headlights. I would gut the oem halogen lights and install hid projectors from a luxury vehicle like an acura tl or a bmw. I was a very active member on hidplanet for several years. I had done about a dozen sets for personal vehicles and some friends. I know all about adjusting headlights. Finding perfectly flat ground to get the 2" drop @ 25' is about as close to impossible as you can get unless you had access to a shop. Even then if you laser the floor there were differences you had to account for. Also that 2" drop is not applicable to all vehicles. Especially lifted ones.

Instead I would eyeball it. Set them both level and what I thought was right and drive it around to see where your cutoff was hitting. I used the back of an autozone for a reference near my old house to help reference because I had done so many I knew about where it needed to be. When I eyeballed it I never blinded anyone, unless it was some riced out civid that cut their springs. Yes you can eyeball your headlights if you know what to look for.