Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights too bright?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my 2022 MYP for just about 6 weeks now. Very pleased so far. However I noticed while driving at night especially on two lane roads I get hi beam flashed by lots of oncoming drivers even though I’m running in low beam, Has anyone else experienced this and is there a way to adjust the low beam lights ?
Thanks

Same happened to me in 2022 performance model y built 12/15/2021. I lowered them a bit and was never flashed again. Other day I cursed some car whose lights were blinding me. It was a model Y 🤣. Ok now I understand why so many people were flashing so often. I wonder if our cars were not calibrated well or of tesla does this on purpose to help autopilot at night.

Upvote 0
Be aware of the road grade of approaching traffic. If there's a slight rise, you will be blinded by any modern headlight.

Yes, adjust your headlights, but in very small increments. You don't want to "overdrive" your headlights in a rural setting.

Upvote 0
IMO Tesla lets MYPs leave the factory (not sure about LRs) with the low beams set about the same height as airplane landing lights...or at least that was my experience.

I'm pulling from memory here, but I think the way to fix this is:

• Park on a flat surface facing a wall when it's dark.
  • Put the car in park.
  • On the screen, go to Controls > Service > Adjust Headlights.
From there, you'll have some on screen prompts telling you how to adjust them up and down.

I had to adjust mine down 3 clicks before I was satisfied and was no longer getting flashed by other drivers.

Upvote 0
There is an actual service manual you can download for free from Tesla that shows you how to adjust the matrix headlights. I remember you have to be on a flat service 25 ft back and mark 32 inches where the beam should hit on the wall. The only problem I had is I couldn't adjust the beam left to right like the service manual suggested and only could adjust up and down.

Upvote 0