Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a bit of random musing...

Why does a headlight (or a taillight) have to maintain the single-point-of-light model that was necessary in the old incandescent days? With LEDs all kinds of headlights are possible - imagine a strip of light from left to right across the front of the car as a headlight. Or, eisbock above refers to the Model S/X "signature lights"; it seems to me that a headlight could be fashioned in the stylized "T" logo that Tesla uses and have a real "signature light". Say, a "T" on the left, and a "3" on the right. Wouldn't that be unique? Perhaps a script "Tesla" across the nose that glows as a DRL in the day, and brightens to form a headlight at night?

One advantage of this is that the overall brightness of the headlight could be higher, while at the same time the intensity of any portion of it would be lower. As a result, there'd be a lot less "blinding" of other drivers should they get flashed by the headlight due to bumps or grading of the road.

Maybe the extra cost of building and aligning this style of headlight would prevent it from use in a low cost vehicle, but I think it would be cooler than heck to see "Maserati" coming up behind me in lights...
I'm sure there are some DOT laws that prescribe how headlights and taillights appear, work and project. But maybe now that different technology exists, DOT may update their laws.

Reactions: Red Sage
Turns out, I described a Lucid:
Capture.PNG

The headlights don't go the full width, but as a design element they do. I think they're pretty cool.

Turns out, I described a Lucid:
View attachment 206207
The headlights don't go the full width, but as a design element they do. I think they're pretty cool.
You'd need space for a red light to go back and forth. If television has taught me anything, it's that both autonomous cars and cylons need moving red lights in the front.

A bit dated, but this would perhaps justify laser headlights: Experimental headlight system can see through rain and snow Basically, it tracks snow flakes, rain drops, etc. and avoids illuminating them. It can also avoid shining into oncoming cars and still light up the area around the cars.
As neat as that is, wouldn't the headlight be constantly "flashing" as it tries to avoid objects? I'm almost picturing trying to drive with a strobe light attached to the front of your car. I know the headlights would never fully turn off, but the constant change of illumination would most certainly be extremely distracting, no? Especially if we're talking about directing the light away from individual snowflakes...

Or maybe the objects are so minuscule that the silenced light beams aren't really noticeable.

A bit dated, but this would perhaps justify laser headlights: Experimental headlight system can see through rain and snow Basically, it tracks snow flakes, rain drops, etc. and avoids illuminating them. It can also avoid shining into oncoming cars and still light up the area around the cars.
Let me know when it avoids fog particles... ;)
Seems a bit overkill for what's basically a non-issue. Seems like a pretty cool school project though.

That's the front end a TM3 could have had.

I like the Model 3's. I'm not saying it's perfect or without some quirks, but I like it. That said, the Air's seems to flow together better. Granted, neither front ends we've seen may be the final versions that make it to production.

But from the side, what's with the Air's fenders? I can't stand that horizontal seam that splits it. It bothers me, just like that odd-looking c-pillar.

lucid-air-ev-6-1280x720.jpg

Since we're talking about headlights here, I find that my new S90D's LED high beams have very little 'reach' beyond the low beams. While the beam patter on high fills in horizontally, I just don't get the far forward visibility that I did with my Audi A7 (LED).

Do others notice this, or might I have an headlight alignment issue?

I like the Model 3's. I'm not saying it's perfect or without some quirks, but I like it. That said, the Air's seems to flow together better. Granted, neither front ends we've seen may be the final versions that make it to production.

But from the side, what's with the Air's fenders? I can't stand that horizontal seam that splits it. It bothers me, just like that odd-looking c-pillar.

lucid-air-ev-6-1280x720.jpg
Pretty sure the seam you mention on the front fenders is where the hood opens. So above the seam is the hood and below is technically the fender.

Reactions: Red Sage
Since we're talking about headlights here, I find that my new S90D's LED high beams have very little 'reach' beyond the low beams. While the beam patter on high fills in horizontally, I just don't get the far forward visibility that I did with my Audi A7 (LED).

Do others notice this, or might I have an headlight alignment issue?
Could be alignment issue, but overall think Tesla headlights are not well optimized. They do the job and look nice, but could use improvement in the actual optics. This applies to the original HIDs as well the current LED versions.