Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headliner fraying edge - How was it addressed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
My new MS has a bare exposed headliner edge at the driver's side door. This similar issue has been noted for other folks...

My question is: hpw was this addressed? It appears that the headliner is trimmed too short to be wrapped/tucked up under the trim at that location, as it appears it should be. Did Tesla replace the entire headliner, or just attempt to fix that one area, perhaps using adhesive of some sort?

Thanks.

I thought the exact same thing just yesterday. This might be a different issue, but the edge of the headliner was visible in a few spots right where it meets the rubber (foam?) seal on the mid and upper A pillar. Upon closer examination it turned out that the actual issue was that the seal had gotten tucked beneath the edge of the headliner. To fix it I put my finger under the seal, pulling it out about 1/2 an inch, and ran it the entire length of the window. This untucked the seal from beneath the headliner in the few spots where that had happened and evened everything out.

Hmm, I'll check that out, thanks scriptacus.

Forgot to attach the photo of my issue:
IMG_20130526_144229_113.jpg

So, update on this. I tucked the liner back under the seal as you suggested scriptacus, only to have it work it's way back out by the next day.

So, I've called my Svc Ctr about it, and they sad they could take a look and see if the seal is too short, but he doubts it. They've seen this a number of times, and there's not much they can do about it. He thinks the factory may be trying to address it.

But for now it feels like he's is suggesting there may not be much else to do other than live with it.

Has anybody else had this successfully addressed?

So I had the Service center look at this yesterday... he said he's seen others do this too.

He said he used some velcro to hold the headliner "up" towards the roof a bit, and then made sure the A-pillar cover was as snug as possible, which helps hold the headliner up and under the seal.

We'll see how it holds.

I brought up the same issue on mine a year and a half ago, and sorry to report that Tesla won't fix it. I also agree it is a design flaw that could easily be resolved by having the subsupplier wrap the fabric around the backer board. Has this problem been seen on cars built this year?

I've had this problem since day one as well and complained about it multiple times, especially after I drove a newer VIN where the headliner is now much longer so the rubber seal covers the headliner by quite a bit. I suspect all autopilot hardware cars no longer have this problem because they redesigned the headliner to accommodate the autopilot camera hardware.

Sadly this his is the only unresolved issue with my car, but it bugs me to have to be flipping that seal back over the headliner on an almost daily basis.

I'm the OP... I didn't realize I had never come back to this thread to update it: I actually had my headliner replaced under warranty to address this about a year ago.

Oh, and incidentally, that required removing the front windshield...

Last edited:
I'm the OP... I didn't realize I had never com back to this thread to update it: I actually had my headliner replaced under warranty to address this about a year ago.

Oh, and incidentally, that require removing the front windshield...

That's encouraging. At my last visit I mentioned it again and they were trying to escalate it to see if they could get mine replaced as well. Good to know that there is at least a precedent for doing it.