TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Headliner fraying edge - How was it addressed?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by scaesare, May 27, 2013.

1. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

My new MS has a bare exposed headliner edge at the driver's side door. This similar issue has been noted for other folks...

My question is: hpw was this addressed? It appears that the headliner is trimmed too short to be wrapped/tucked up under the trim at that location, as it appears it should be. Did Tesla replace the entire headliner, or just attempt to fix that one area, perhaps using adhesive of some sort?

Thanks.

2. scriptacus

scriptacus Member

I thought the exact same thing just yesterday. This might be a different issue, but the edge of the headliner was visible in a few spots right where it meets the rubber (foam?) seal on the mid and upper A pillar. Upon closer examination it turned out that the actual issue was that the seal had gotten tucked beneath the edge of the headliner. To fix it I put my finger under the seal, pulling it out about 1/2 an inch, and ran it the entire length of the window. This untucked the seal from beneath the headliner in the few spots where that had happened and evened everything out.

3. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Hmm, I'll check that out, thanks scriptacus.

Forgot to attach the photo of my issue:
    IMG_20130526_144229_113.jpg

4. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

So, update on this. I tucked the liner back under the seal as you suggested scriptacus, only to have it work it's way back out by the next day.

So, I've called my Svc Ctr about it, and they sad they could take a look and see if the seal is too short, but he doubts it. They've seen this a number of times, and there's not much they can do about it. He thinks the factory may be trying to address it.

But for now it feels like he's is suggesting there may not be much else to do other than live with it.

Has anybody else had this successfully addressed?

5. Jeff Andrews

Jeff Andrews Member

San Luis Obispo, California, United States
    The other day I noticed my liner's edge sticking out in that same spot, but all I had to do was pull the seal back over. I'll check it again today.

6. hans

hans P631

Mine does this all the time. I just keep pulling the seal back over. I asked the service center to look at it today since the car is in the shop anyway for something else. With see what they say.

Before tuck
    uploadfromtaptalk1369957032635.jpg

After tuck
    uploadfromtaptalk1369956996173.jpg

7. digitaltim

digitaltim Sig737 VIN628

Ditto for me - this is just poor design at the doors but tolerable except when my OCD kicks in and I have to stop the car to check all four doors.

8. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

So I had the Service center look at this yesterday... he said he's seen others do this too.

He said he used some velcro to hold the headliner "up" towards the roof a bit, and then made sure the A-pillar cover was as snug as possible, which helps hold the headliner up and under the seal.

We'll see how it holds.

9. digitaltim

digitaltim Sig737 VIN628

It isn't the headliner as much as the rubber seal on the frame of the doorway...

10. landover

landover Member

Has anyone have this completly resolved yet? My car has done this sense day one.

11. UberEV1

UberEV1 Member

I brought up the same issue on mine a year and a half ago, and sorry to report that Tesla won't fix it. I also agree it is a design flaw that could easily be resolved by having the subsupplier wrap the fabric around the backer board. Has this problem been seen on cars built this year?

12. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

I've had this problem since day one as well and complained about it multiple times, especially after I drove a newer VIN where the headliner is now much longer so the rubber seal covers the headliner by quite a bit. I suspect all autopilot hardware cars no longer have this problem because they redesigned the headliner to accommodate the autopilot camera hardware.

Sadly this his is the only unresolved issue with my car, but it bugs me to have to be flipping that seal back over the headliner on an almost daily basis.

13. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

14. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

15. Kbsilver

Kbsilver Member

I'm not an automotive engineer (however I did stay in a Holiday Inn once), but it seems as the headliner just needs to be made 1/2" wider to stay tucked under the door seal.

16. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Yes - that's exactly right. The P85D loaner I had was at least 1/4" longer than my 2013 build. Looks like maybe that wasn't enough.

17. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

#17 scaesare, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    I'm the OP... I didn't realize I had never come back to this thread to update it: I actually had my headliner replaced under warranty to address this about a year ago.

Oh, and incidentally, that required removing the front windshield...

18. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

That's encouraging. At my last visit I mentioned it again and they were trying to escalate it to see if they could get mine replaced as well. Good to know that there is at least a precedent for doing it.